Connecting Meraki MS-425 with Cisco Legacy Switches with Fiber

Abdulrhman_BM
Comes here often

Connecting Meraki MS-425 with Cisco Legacy Switches with Fiber

Hi All,

We are going to connect Meraki MS-425 as a replacement of an old cisco legacy core switch  and I have questions regarding the fiber connectivity:

1) The SFP module connected to legacy cisco access switches are SFP 1G, so can we buy Meraki SFP+ modules and connect with those of Cisco SFP 1G? 

2) In case SFP+ modules are not auto negotiation or I can't manually force the speed, can I buy SFP module from Meraki and connect it in MS-425 an will work 

3) In case I want to use the existing SFP Module from Cisco Legacy Switch, Can I just plug them in Meraki Switch, or they are not supported 

3 REPLIES 3
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

1) Yes you can buy Meraki SFP modules and they will work with a Cisco one at the other end, so long as you use the same type e.g. 1000Base-SX to 1000Base-SX.

2) Normally there is no auto-negotiation in SFPs (there are few exceptions, but basically they don’t negotiate), you buy the speed you want, either 10Gbps or 1Gbps in the case of Meraki SFP+/SFP modules. A 10Gbps SFP+ module won’t run at 1Gbps.

3) You can definitely try and use a Cisco SFP in a Meraki switch, in most cases they work. Technically only the SFPs listed in Meraki documentation as supported are officially supported, but a lot of other SFP modules (including many third party ones) also work.

Inderdeep
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Abdulrhman_BM : if Cisco legacy switch have 1 G SFP, don’t use SFP+ on Meraki side, use SFP on Meraki side as well as @Bruce @said.

2)you can set the port with your requirements like half duplex/full duplex/auto. Make sure you set that settings both sides.

3) I am sure that SFP which is there on Cisco device will support, but try and check 

Regards/Inder
Cisco IT Blogs awarded in 2020 & 2021
www.thenetworkdna.com

You can use an SFP in an SFP+ port.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels