Connecting 2 sites "wirelessly"

FTI-nsutterby
Here to help

Connecting 2 sites "wirelessly"

OK, so this should be relatively easy, but I am having trouble getting the packets to route correctly.  We recently swapped out all of our Fortinet products for Meraki devices and are slowly expanding upon that.  Firewalls are installed and configured, as well as switch stacks, APs, etc.

Site A

192.168.1.XXX network

MX84 Firewall

MS225-48LP switches 

Site B

192.168.15.XXX network

MX84 Firewall

MS225-48LP switches 

We need to essentially connect the 2 sites together using a wireless point-to-point transparent bridge.  I say it is "transparent" because the switches see the link as just a long network cable.  I got the wireless link connected and talking back and forth, but the packets don't seem to route correctly.  I'm trying to determine if I need to setup a static route from the MX through the MS to the other sites.  I have LLDP enabled and can see the switches 'see' each other at both ends, but there are some strange entries into the logs where the clients as Site A are getting DHCP addresses from Site B and vice versa.  I need to figure out how to isolate the clients to grab DHCP leases (currently all being done from Windows servers) and tell network A to find network B and backwards, so as to not need to use VPN tunnels to connect them anymore.  I had all of this working with my Fortinet products without issues, but I could also assign a faux IP to the port/interface on the other switches/routers, telling the devices how to route the packets through those interfaces.  I have read through all the documentation I could find, but was hoping someone more familiar with Meraki in these forums could shed some light on this quicker.

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Sounds like you need to create a new vlan.

Add that vlan to both mx. Give mx1 x.x.x..1 and mx2 x.x.x.2. 

Add that vlan to the trunk from mx to switch.

And add that vlan as access port on both sides where  the p2p connection is connected.

Then create that route  at side A for subnet 192.168.15 pointing to x.x.x.2

And at side B for 192.168.1. to x.x.x.1

Thanks, I will give that a go and see if it works as intended.  

Good morning @ww 

When you say to create a route from side A to side B, is that on the MX or the MS device or both?  Keep in mind that I just took this project over from the last employee who quit.  It appears that no layer 3 interfaces have been created either to setup a route.  I can configure a static route in the MX without issues, though neither devices has any L3 items enabled or in use I should say.  

Thanks in advance!

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The mx is always layer3 but does not use vlans unless you enable this .

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/MX_Addressing_and_VLANs#Use_VLANs

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels