Combined templates

SOLVED
james-w
Conversationalist

Combined templates

Good morning/afternoon,

I have created a new combined network template today "UK MS350-48FP L2 Template", l then assigned this to the MERAKI_POC network which pushed the VLANs associated to ports, timezones etc to the related devices bound to the Template.

Following on from this work, l unbound/dissociated the network from the Template, and the configuration reverted back to what was previously configured on the device.

What l am trying to understand is:-

If l bind my Template "UK MS350-48FP L2 Template" to one of my production networks would this Template overwrite the SSID's deployed at these locations?? Also if someone then modifies this template, it pushes this config down to all associated devices bound to the Template, so a new SSID is added, this is then created on all Networks??

Is there a way if a network has been binded/and then unbinded it can retain the configuration that was previously pushed to the device?

Thanks and best regards,
James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MacuserJim
A model citizen

Yes, if you bind a network to a template the current template configuration settings will override previous settings. Also any future changes to the template will be applied to any networks bound to that template.  As far as retaining template settings when you remove the network from the template, there is not a way to do that.

Can I ask what the reasoning is for taking a network off of the template and wanting to keep the settings? There may be another way to accomplish what you are trying to do.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MacuserJim
A model citizen

Yes, if you bind a network to a template the current template configuration settings will override previous settings. Also any future changes to the template will be applied to any networks bound to that template.  As far as retaining template settings when you remove the network from the template, there is not a way to do that.

Can I ask what the reasoning is for taking a network off of the template and wanting to keep the settings? There may be another way to accomplish what you are trying to do.

Thanks for the quick response.

The reason l removed the bind from the network was to see what happened. I wan;t sure as the config has been pushed to the device whether this would be retained or removed when unbound.

We currently have a number of distributed sites ranging from wired at some, to wireless at other, and new sites to come online that will be combined and have both.

When l removed the template my concern is if someone inadvertently bound a template to a network that has wifi, you have potential overwritten that sites wifi. If the template was then removed, would the sites wifi revert back to what was there previously or back to the out of the box config. I am presuming to what was last there.

Ah, yeah the network should revert back to the config it had right before it was bound to the template.

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

If l bind my Template "UK MS350-48FP L2 Template" to one of my production networks would this Template overwrite the SSID's deployed at these locations??

Yes

Also if someone then modifies this template, it pushes this config down to all associated devices bound to the Template, so a new SSID is added, this is then created on all Networks??

Yes, in all networks that are bound.

Is there a way if a network has been binded/and then unbinded it can retain the configuration that was previously pushed to the device?

No. You'd have to add it again manually.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels