Cloning Switches with Python

JethroCrates
Here to help

Cloning Switches with Python

Just trying to see if I have the right idea here.

I have about 12 networks I need to deploy in the next couple of months.  Cloning networks doesn't help me with the switch configs though.  So I have 2 Switches with 1 being a demarcation switch/distribution switch, and the other one just acting as an access switch.  All ports are configured using port profiles. No Layer 3 config either.

I see this:

/organizations/{organizationId}/switch/devices/clone and am thinking it will be the way forward.  

Will this work even though I configured the ports using the port profile?  Ideally I would have liked to just clone port profiles, but that doesn't seem like an option at this point.

I'm a little scared to try it out in my org, cause I'm new, and POST scares me.   The most important thing is that VLANS, Tags, and trunk/access ports get copied.  

Thanks for the help.

5 Replies 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Isn't configuring via dashboard an option?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

As far I know this operation will not clone the port profiles themselves, but rather the configuration of each individual port. This means that if you’ve configured your ports using port profiles, the cloned switch will have the same port configurations, but they won’t be associated with the original port profiles.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I suspect you want to clone switch configs between networks?  This option is for cloning switches within a network.

Are all of these sites pretty much identical, so you could consider using templates?https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/... 

Well that is disappointing to hear. I thought since it was referencing the orgid, that it would just go and find the serial number wherever it happened to be within the org.

I'll take a peak at the switch template.

Thanks!

I just thought of a clever idea.  You could clone the switch, and then move it to the final network.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels