Cisco Small business switches problem with Meraki switch

Mmostofi
Comes here often

Cisco Small business switches problem with Meraki switch

Greeting,

I'm replacing my infrastructure with Cisco Meraki devices an I ran to a big issue. Meraki Support have also no idea what is the problem. The issue is, when I connect my Cisco small business switches to my new meraki switch the cisco switch turns off immediately, I tried to disable everything in both sides, STP and all guards and securities but still the same, I even disabled the both ports on both sides but as soon as I connect the Lan cable to my cisco switch i turns off I cannot see any log or anything. It wasn't a big issue in the beginning I thought it is just a problem with cisco switches but I got the same issue with my cisco wireless controller too.
When I use a small switch(TP link) in between, there would be no issue but I cannot any of my cisco switches directly to my Meraki switch. I appreciate your help.

9 Replies 9
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When you say "turns off" - what exactly do you mean?  Does the whole switch power down?  Does the link simply go down?

When this happens, what do you do to get it working again?

tnx Philip for your reply.

yes the whole cisco switch power down, not just one port, the whole switch completely. On Meraki switch nothing will change. When I unplug the cisco switch from Meraki one it begin to boot up normally 

Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Does this happen when it's just the Meraki switch connecting to the Cisco switch, both completely isolated from anything else in the network?  Do you have multiple Meraki switches to test with or just the one?

Mmostofi
Comes here often

I test it with multiple Meraki switches and one them had no connection to any other device.

Mmostofi
Comes here often

I test it with multiple Meraki switches and one them had no connection to any other device.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would try getting the latest firmware for the small business switch.  This could easily be a firmware issue.  I think this is the most likely issue.  Perhaps the switch is crashing rather than powering down.

My next guess, which I think is unlikely, is some kind of PoE mis-negotiation is happening, and both ends are trying to apply power (and causing a short, or something like that).  Perhaps see if you can disable PoE on the port on both ends.

I'm assuming you have tried a different patch lead already?

yes Philip I already tried to update switch firmware and turn off the poe on both sides.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

What model Cisco switch?  Did you try connecting it with default config and current firmware?  I think the SG models have their own TAC you could contact to help you look at logs, crash dumps, etc.  

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

the switches are SG250-08HP model, unfortunately i couldn't see any log on the switch since it just turns off immediately 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels