Change VLAN 1 (default subnet 192.168.128.0/24) remotely

SOLVED
ReneStoffels
Conversationalist

Change VLAN 1 (default subnet 192.168.128.0/24) remotely

Hello

I'm in Security Appliance>Configure>Addressing & VLANs

Under the title "Routing"

I want to do a remote change. I want to change the VLAN subnet (by attached foto) 192.168.128.0/24

Change this subnet to 10.10.4.0/24  REMOTELY

On this old subnet everything is connected 2x MX250, 19 AP's, MS350 and MS220

If i do this will everything be fine? wil everything get a new dhcp ip adres from my changed settings?

defaultvlan.jpeg 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GiacomoS
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey @ReneStoffels,

Keep in mind that DHCP is normally requested by the client and an ordinary change will not necessarily prompt the clients to refresh their IP address on the new subnet.

If you just change it from the 192.X subnet to the 10.X one, you might end up with a lot of clients with incorrect IP addressing which will not have network access until the lease expires. 

@PhilipDAth 's method will go a long way in helping refreshing everything, especially if powered via PoE. I know Windows client tend to be a bit stubborn and might retain the address even by doing this.

An alternative method might be to reduce the lease time down to the minimum, wait 24 hours for all the devices to get the new lease time and then make the changes, so within a few minutes everything should get the new address.

Hope this helps!

Giacomo

Please keep in mind that what I post here is my personal knowledge and opinion. Don't take anything I say for the Holy Grail, but try and see!
Appreciate who helps and be respectful of every opinion and every solution offered.
Share the love, especially the Meraki one!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is what I would do.

Reboot the two switches.  Then quickly change the VLAN1 ip address.  Then when the switches come up they'll DHCP a new IP address from the new range.  Ditto for the APs, as they will all power cycle.  Anything attached to the switches will see a port down/up and will try DHCP again.

This is assuming everything is using DHCP and not statically addressed.

GiacomoS
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hey @ReneStoffels,

Keep in mind that DHCP is normally requested by the client and an ordinary change will not necessarily prompt the clients to refresh their IP address on the new subnet.

If you just change it from the 192.X subnet to the 10.X one, you might end up with a lot of clients with incorrect IP addressing which will not have network access until the lease expires. 

@PhilipDAth 's method will go a long way in helping refreshing everything, especially if powered via PoE. I know Windows client tend to be a bit stubborn and might retain the address even by doing this.

An alternative method might be to reduce the lease time down to the minimum, wait 24 hours for all the devices to get the new lease time and then make the changes, so within a few minutes everything should get the new address.

Hope this helps!

Giacomo

Please keep in mind that what I post here is my personal knowledge and opinion. Don't take anything I say for the Holy Grail, but try and see!
Appreciate who helps and be respectful of every opinion and every solution offered.
Share the love, especially the Meraki one!
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels