Catalyst C9200 switch in Meraki Dashboard? Do I need the DNA license or the Meraki Dashboard License

redsector
Head in the Cloud

Catalyst C9200 switch in Meraki Dashboard? Do I need the DNA license or the Meraki Dashboard License

Hello,

Can I manage Catalyst C9200 switches in Meraki Dashboard? Do I need the DNA license or the Meraki Dashboard license, or both? My dealer is not able to answer this questions. He offers me always DNA-licenses with that switches. But I want to manage (not monitor) them at Meraki Dashboard. So I think I need Meraki Dashboard licenses for this switches.

The thing is: I am buying since years the Meraki MS225-48LP switches. But once in the future they will be out of service, and then I have to replace hundreds of them. So I like to use newer switches now.

15 REPLIES 15
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@redsector 

There is the information that you need:

https://documentation.meraki.com/Cloud_Monitoring_for_Catalyst/Onboarding/Cloud_Monitoring_for_Catal...

https://rowelldionicio.com/manage-cisco-catalyst-in-meraki-cloud/

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

First Link is only  the monitoring, not the management version.

You can buy an "montoring only" version and a "management" version, this seems to be an difference in the operating system.

Yeah, I know, but I think It's a good information too save. But the second link contains the informations that you need. Right?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

sorry, but it says the same, fully managed with DNA license. But DNA license is not possible in Meraki Dashboard.

"What about licensing?

Fully managed Catalyst switches will need to have DNA Advantage (DNA-A) or DNA Essentials (DNA-E).

Monitored Catalyst switches will use a Meraki license."

this means:

not managable in Meraki Dashboard, only monitoring.

managable in DNA.

Right?

Man, you have to install It on switch 😉

The license? (DNA or Meraki license?) Never heard about. Meraki switches licenses I put always in the dashboard not onto the switches.

It's still a Catalyst switch, just with a firmware that you can manage through the Meraki Dashsboard. You will still have access via CLI, etc.

Sorry, Once a Catalyst switch is fully managed by Meraki it will no longer be an IOS device. It will run Meraki software. But if it is a monitored switch, it can still be accessible via CLI.

o.k I understood. So I need only the Meraki dashboard license but not the DNA license for the full management with Meraki dashboard. The Video shows an example for this with an Cat 9300, so maybe it´s not poassible for the Cat 9200.

I guess so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJCOOo9Zwco

The first link says: "What about licensing?

Fully managed Catalyst switches will need to have DNA Advantage (DNA-A) or DNA Essentials (DNA-E).

Monitored Catalyst switches will use a Meraki license"

Fully managed devices need an DNA license. But I can´t put in the DNA license into the Meraki Dashboard.

Supported Platforms & Licensing
Today, the Catalyst 9200, 9300 and 9500 switching platforms will be supported in the Meraki dashboard with two options:

Cloud Monitoring (monitor only)
Cloud Management (monitor and configuration)
The minimum firmware version to run on these switches is IOS-XE 17.3 or higher.

What about licensing?

Monitored Catalyst switches will use a Meraki license.

redsector
Head in the Cloud

Ok. I need an DNA license to install direct on the switch and additional an Meraki license to manage it with Meraki Dashboard?

License Flexibility
Our Licensing Team has been working hard to ensure a smooth transition between Modes (DNA and Meraki) from the licensing perspective.

For the common hardware perspective, to migrate the Cisco Catalyst 9300 switch to a Meraki mode, a valid DNA license is required. You can choose between Meraki Enterprise or Advanced license depending upon enabled features during license renewal.

The Cisco Catalyst 916x series APs can be purchased with the appropriate licenses based on the management platform: DNA license for Cisco DNA Center or Meraki license for Meraki mode.

On the visibility/monitoring front: A valid DNA Essentials (for switch visibility) or Advantage license (client visibility) is required to be onboarded into the Meraki dashboard. The device can be managed by other tools such as Cisco Prime, CLI or 3rd party tools.

Customer Use Cases
Cloud Monitoring
Catalyst customers not using Cisco DNA Center as the operational platform: You will be able to gain immediate value with cloud monitoring, providing a view of your network from anywhere, anytime, giving them a low-effort way to experience Meraki Cloud Dashboard.
Customers who are running a hybrid network of Meraki and Catalyst: Benefit by moving their Catalyst hardware into view on the Meraki dashboard with monitoring.
Cloud Management
Customers with network refresh network: Customers who already have Meraki platforms; upon refresh, they can choose to adopt Catalyst into their existing infrastructure (APs and switches)
Current Cisco Catalyst 9300 customers looking to move to cloud operations and the features available in the Meraki Dashboard satisfy their use cases.

https://blogs.cisco.com/networking/your-network-your-way-a-journey-to-full-cloud-management-of-cisco...

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Any idea when dashboard management will be available on the 9300s for production? 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels