Catalyst 9300 - moving from Monitored to Managed mode

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Catalyst 9300 - moving from Monitored to Managed mode

Good morning you lovely people.  i'm getting knowhere with a customers query and unfortunately the Meraki AM involved is down an SE and unable to help.

Customer has a number of Cat 9300's running as their core across a number of schools.  These are currently in Monitored mode within the Meraki dashboard.

They wish to move to Managed mode but the documentation is vague when it comes to licensing.  They have a 5 year DNA advantage licence but no support contract in place.

Is anyone able to confirm if they would be entitled to a Meraki licence for their 9300’s if they just have a DNA-Advantage license under the below mentioned promotion? 

We were sent this snippet of information which is confusing.  Is that we don't require a licence until the software reaches GA "or" once the 30 day grace period expires?

"Migration is still in public preview; the associated Meraki license will be required when the software reaches GA after a 30-day grace period.  At that time, you can either migrate an existing DNA license via the qualified promotion form or buy a new Meraki license (same SKUs as -M license). So for now, you will be getting it for free"

DarrenOC_1-1701253482272.png

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
5 Replies 5
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I could be wrong but my understanding was that DNA advantage includes TAC support:

Q. What is the difference between Cisco DNA and Cisco Catalyst software subscriptions?

A. The Cisco DNA software subscription for Switching (and Wireless) includes base support for software only, delivering a one-hour TAC response objective for severity 1 and 2 service requests. In addition, the Cisco DNA software subscription does not include ISE licenses.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/software/one-wireless-subscription/nb-06-dna-acces...

As for the snippet, my interpretation is that once it goes GA, you have a 30 day grace period to get your licensing in order.

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

hi @Brash - agree, DNA includes software support but not hardware.  My query is are both required to qualify for the Meraki licence?  Think we're just going to take a punt and apply for the licence using the Promotion form:

https://merakiresources.cisco.com/Cloud-Management-Customer-Request-Form.html

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

My understanding - and I could be wrong - is you can't just migrate.  You have to go on a special early access beta.  Is that beta accepting more networks - I don't know.

This will be something you would need to work with Meraki to first even get on the program, and then secondly understand what the licencing requirements is on that program.

You will be on the bleeding edge if you join this program.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We looked to do the same with one site of 9300s, but the technical migration seems to be write down all the config on a piece of paper, factory reset the 9300s into Meraki mode, then manually reprogram everything...

So we haven't done it. 

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Received the below official responses from a Meraki SE:

See answers below, I hope you will find them useful:

• How long till the product comes out of GA?

C9300 Migration GA is expected for early next year.

It is also possible to purchase C9300-M (Meraki mode from factory). These are already GA.

• Is it GA + the 30 day grace or whichever comes first?

Meraki Licensing will be required when the software reaches GA after a 30-day grace period.

• As per the initial query whilst the customer has a DNA Advantage licence do they also require a Cisco support contract to qualify for the promotion?

A Cisco DNA license (Essentials or Advantage) and hardware support contract are required to qualify for the promotion.

If the customer does not qualify, they can purchase a new Cisco Meraki license. These are the same as for the Catalyst Meraki 9300which as any other Meraki license includes hardware support.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels