Can I use an RJ11 port with a RJ45 converter to connect a cisco meraki switch?

Vbardy
Here to help

Can I use an RJ11 port with a RJ45 converter to connect a cisco meraki switch?

Hello all,  

Basically we have an offsite location where we need a wired connection and all we have are RJ11 jacks.  Is there any way we can use an adapter to change the connection to RJ45 for our switch that will work??

Any suggestions or input here would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Rgds,

Vicky

10 Replies 10
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You're kidding right?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Looking for a solution to this situation.  Happy my situation gave you a laugh.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If the cabling behind is CAT5e (only two pairs wired), then you could run 100Mbps... 😉

Vbardy
Here to help

This is something I was looking into.  Re-terminating the cable to an RJ45 adding the additional pins.

Ok thank you.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We used IBM type 1 cabling with home made adapters for several years at 100Mb...

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Looking at alternative solutions - could you go wireless?

Failing that, you could consider using VDSL media converters, but if there are a lot of ports, it could get expensive quickly.

If you have Cat3 cabling - VDSL would be the only way to use that cabling.

If you have Cat5, you could look at using 100Mb/s only - but personally, I would rather change to WiFi.

I think I would get a cabling company in, get a quote and confirm what kind of cabling is installed.

Thank you.  We may try this.  

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It's unbelievable guys that you think about using adapters. I'm sorry, but as a network professional I completely disagree with this type of artifice.

But I'm not here to judge, and everyone can do what they think is best.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@alemabrahao it's all about getting the result, even in a recent refurbishment, we had to cancel replacing a bundle of 120 unshielded CAT5e cables with new CAT6a as the cost of taking down all the ceilings, opening up the roof and the re-doing it all would have taken the project up to £100k over budget.  We ended up using the shortest length possible,  re-terminating them all and creating a patch frame out of wooden and angle iron offcuts that would fit into a 80mm deep void.

Horrible solution, but often what you need to do in the real world!

TBHPTL
A model citizen

yeah but cat5e is soooo much better then the cat3 or pots quad that is likely hanging off the 6P2C RJ11...

The devil is in the details about the actual cable and  how it was really ran and terminated.... Likely ran by an electrician... YUCK!☹️

The person asking this question about RJ11 to 45 is likely in way over their head.

best scenario is all  home runs, not on 66 blocks, runs are <=90m AND its cat5 or cat5e with the blue pair terminated and the other three pairs wrapped or clipped on at least 18 inches of service loop of inches of slack cable.

Worst case is complete raw sewage show

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels