Bach edit Meraki API

Solved
JPaul
Here to help

Bach edit Meraki API

Hello

I am currently in the process of modifying 12 x MS225-48 switches and I am able to modify ports through https://developer.cisco.com/meraki/api-v1/ I have tried Postman but when I import a CSV to runner I get a 400 Bad request error and wondered if there is any other way to modify all switch ports as I need to be done?

1 Accepted Solution
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If all of the ports are being given the same configuration, the change can be easily achieved in the GUI: Switching -> Switch Ports -> Check all of the ports you're making the change on -> Edit.

If the ports are being given different configuration, the API is definitely the way to go.

You will need your script to import the CSV, parse it and build a JSON file with the appropriate configuration and send that with the API request.

You can find a poor but functional powershell script below that you can use as reference.

Meraki/Meraki Update Switchports.ps1 at main · Brash92/Meraki (github.com)

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Brash
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If all of the ports are being given the same configuration, the change can be easily achieved in the GUI: Switching -> Switch Ports -> Check all of the ports you're making the change on -> Edit.

If the ports are being given different configuration, the API is definitely the way to go.

You will need your script to import the CSV, parse it and build a JSON file with the appropriate configuration and send that with the API request.

You can find a poor but functional powershell script below that you can use as reference.

Meraki/Meraki Update Switchports.ps1 at main · Brash92/Meraki (github.com)

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

For mass editing in a single network I heavily use tags and then go about selecting the tag's and editing their configuration in one go.

Usually when you connect a new switch to a network the first thing you do is the following.  Go to switch -> switchports and then apply following filter.   switch:nameofnewswitch port:1-48 and then give them all the tag ACCESS and a second tag depicting the VLAN they are supposed to be in.

Next time you need to edit all those ports you just go tag:nameoftag and then you bulk edit them.

There is also a port-profile early access feature but it is missing some key configurations IMHO.

If you're heavily into API's and you automate new switches into a network it might be a good idea to automatically add tags to new ports.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels