Aggregate getting blocked with RSTP

Solved
FKastro
Here to help

Aggregate getting blocked with RSTP

Hello,

I have 2 switches linked with a fiber and I added another fiber connection between the switches (different Floors).  Once i enable Aggregate on both switches and ports i am seeing one of the ports getting blocked with RSTP.

Is there a certain procedure to enabling aggregate, i was told the following:

1)configure ports before pluging  in fiber

2) after configuration enable ports 

3)plug fiber in

1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Try giving each of the LACP ports a bounce to try and make them re-form the channel.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
FKastro
Here to help

any help would be much appreciated as i find the meraki's need things done a certain way to work.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We used both pre configured,  or 2 links without aggregate and changed it to aggregated without problems

Make sure everyting is on the same & stable firmware.

Make sure you aggregated the correct ports

JacekJ
Building a reputation

This is weird, if you correctly aggregated them on both switches, this should work.

The RSTP blocking sometimes takes a while to update its status on the dashboard.

I assume both links are the same speed?

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can have an RSTP block if you have a link outside of the channel that is "closer" to the root bridge.
Btw are you sure it is RSTP that is blocking the port and not LACP?

In Meraki switching it's much more common to have LACP blocking ports due to the LACP config not yet being pushed to the switch.  That problem is transitionary though.

If it however is an RSTP block you can only see that if the switch is still online.  So that would mean your root bridge is reachable via another path.  Best to give some more detail 😉

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Try giving each of the LACP ports a bounce to try and make them re-form the channel.

FKastro
Here to help

Thank you All for the replies.  I ended up starting from the beginning only 4 connections and once i configured the ports and enabled this time RSTP didn't block.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels