Aggregate Port with FS switch

Solved
Nori_Mir
New here

Aggregate Port with FS switch

Hi All Network Guru.

I have just setup 3 stacked MS225 switches and it has a single uplink to a FS core switch. I decide to setup a dual uplink for redundancy purposes and so I went ahead and configured 2 aggregate port on the Meraki (port26 on switch27 and port 49 on switch 29) and FS end. But as soon as I switch from the single uplink and connected to the aggregate port on the Meraki end, the entire stacked went offline. I am wondering if this is because BPDU guard is enable on the Meraki end? I am trying to get some idea where I can start troubleshooting and what is likely the cause of it so any pointers will be greatly appreciated!

Nori_Mir_0-1707877699570.png

Whereas Over at the FS end I realize that the BPDU guard is disable

Nori_Mir_1-1707877741753.png

Nori_Mir_2-1707878130266.png

I read from the community forum and I understand that for uplink it is better to enable loop guard instead, as BPDU guard are enable on the access and client end to prevent spanning tree

1 Accepted Solution

At most I would consider root guard. But honestly if it were me I wouldn't use any guard mode and rather just ensure you have spanning tree priorities configured appropriately for having deterministic behavior of what switch is root in the topology. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

It's not advised to run BPDU guard on ports connected to neighboring switches https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Port_and_VLAN_Configuration/Configuring_Spanning_Tree_on_Meraki_...

So what will be the best recommendation for dual uplink? loop guard with UDLD enforced or nothing at all?

At most I would consider root guard. But honestly if it were me I wouldn't use any guard mode and rather just ensure you have spanning tree priorities configured appropriately for having deterministic behavior of what switch is root in the topology. 

Hi

Just disable all the BPDU guard from the STP setting and it works! both link are up and running now

Nori_Mir_1-1707888084748.png

Thanks for the link, you made my day 🙂

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels