Adding second switch Meraki to Stack: Any Service Disruption?

Rojo24
New here

Adding second switch Meraki to Stack: Any Service Disruption?

Previously configured a stack with 2 Meraki MS-410-16 switches, already seen as stack associates in the dashboard. I moved them and only put one into production. Now I want to add the second member to the stack (the same switch used for initial stack configuration). I've installed and powered on this unit and will be connecting it to the first one using stack cables. Will it cause any interruptions in the services running on the first switch? Will either of the 2 devices restart? I'm inquiring to understand if there will be any service interruption, even if it's for a short period of time.

5 Replies 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The switches may reboot during this process.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Thank you for your response, but 'The switches may reboot during this process' is stated in the Meraki documentation under the section "Physical Switch Stack Configuration Steps" In my case, this has already been done; the switches have been configured in a stack but only one has been put into production. Now, I need to add the second one

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There should be no interruption as long as the new switch has downloaded firmware and configuration before connecting it.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

I would still prepare and advise end users there could be disruption. I never like to assume in these instances as I have found assuming has always come back to bite me. 

Yes, I know, that's why in the previous post I said that the switches can reboot during the process.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels