Adding MS250 to Inventory

Solved
MckAdmins
Comes here often

Adding MS250 to Inventory

I am new to Meraki and taking over for someone who set this up and now is on extended leave.  When figuring out what switches/firewalls were being used at a site, I noticed that one switch, an MS250 is not listed under "Switches" even though it is in production.  It is though shown under "Clients" with all the other PC's etc.  I asked support how to get it to show up under Switches so that I can see the ports being used etc.  They provided the steps needed to "claims" the device within our organization.

I then asked if this could be done without being disruptive to the network because this set of equipment is in a data center 10 hours away.  I figured that it should not be as "claiming" it should not alter the functioning of the device.

Support would not give me a conclusive answer and suggested I do it after hours.

Can anyone confirm that "claiming" a device that is currently in use is non-disruptive?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Odd scenario. But, assuming it's not in any network today when you claim it and add it to the network it will assume a default config of all ports being trunks with native VLAN 1. Also, when it checks in to dashboard it may need to do a firmware update. So, I would do this in a maintenance window.

I'd have to know the serial number to for sure see where it lives today logically.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Odd scenario. But, assuming it's not in any network today when you claim it and add it to the network it will assume a default config of all ports being trunks with native VLAN 1. Also, when it checks in to dashboard it may need to do a firmware update. So, I would do this in a maintenance window.

I'd have to know the serial number to for sure see where it lives today logically.

Hi.  thanks for answer.  Given that this is a public forum, should I provide the serial number to support (where I still have a ticket open) and ask them if they can tell which VLAN it is on (since I cannot see anything about the device and have NO documentation from the guy who is now on leave).  Will support be able to tell me which VLan it is on with the serial number?

Here is all I can see with it being in the "clients" area:

MckAdmins_0-1644942380650.png

You can send me a private message through here with the serial and I can check

Ok.  Still sorting through his invoices to find the serial.  So far, have only found this but I assume I will eventually find an invoice for the physical box.

MERAKI 5YR MS250-24P ENTERPRISE LICS
Electronic distribution - NO MEDIA
Manufacturer Part Number: LIC-MS250-24P-5YR

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels