Accuracy of Cable Test with MS

wey2go
Getting noticed

Accuracy of Cable Test with MS

Anybody has weird results from the MS cable test?

It seems to me that if the end devices are "Meraki MR" devices, it seems to be always accurately (did not measure actual length but reported length looks reasonable to me). If end devices are PC (mainly Intel NUC), also the case.

However, I am getting wrong figures if the end device are Sonos AMP and Dahua NVR. Eg have a Dahua NVR which is in the same rack connected via a 2m patch cable, but cable test reported it as 19m (1Gfdx and all 4 pairs OK).

Anybody having this issues?

11 REPLIES 11
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Yes, I have had "weird" and inconsistent results as well.  I don't consider it much more than a base line test and don't completely trust it.  That said, I think it is still a useful starting point, but I would not take the results and tell a cable contractor they need to go fix their cable necessarily without closer inspection.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The cable length is determined using TDR (Time Domain Reflectometry):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-domain_reflectometer

It measures the time for a signal to be reflected due to tiny imperfections in the cable termination.  The signal travells at a constant speed, so the length can be calculated.

If you find that a particular kind of device is constantly mis-reporting length it may also be that the device is messing with the impedance of the cable solution as well.

joopv
Getting noticed

On MS120-8P and MS120-24P switches i see that wire pair 4 is not tested on ports that are in 100FDX mode.

• Port Link Length Status Pair 1 Pair 2 Pair 3 Pair 4
      17100fdx1 mOKokokok-

Is it a bug or a feature ?

I have found the cable test tool pretty useful. I understand the slight inaccuracies of TDR, true testing really needs a device on both ends. But this tool makes for a great quick analysis. 

I am curious about a result I am seeing. One of the pairs shows "XXX" I couldn't find a document referencing the different results of the feature.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What was XXX?  Was that a number of some piece of text?

It was literal...

merakiXXX.PNG

I am also wondering what XXX means for a pair, as well as "unknown" and "short".

The Meraki documentation on this is sparse unless I am looking in the wrong place.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Crossed over?

Bossnine
Building a reputation

I had something similar show up just yesterday. The remote end of the cable had a netgear switch attached, mind you it was a defective Netgear switch.

once removed it tested fine
Holli69
Getting noticed

Maybe XXX indicates a high amount of crosstalk over the pair.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Monitoring_and_Reporting/Using_the_Cable_Test_Live_tool

Not trying to necro a post, but I came across this thread trying to figure out an XXX result that we received from a cable test on pair 2 when troubleshooting a device not connecting to the switch and this post was the only reference I found to it. I contacted support, and they gave me the following answer:

"XXX means pair 2 are failed to report voltage for unknown reason."

Hope this helps if anyone else comes across this. We're pretty sure the contractor installed two bad cables (the other one shows open on pair 4, so we have to force it onto 100Mbps), so we believe the result is likely accurate.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels