A secret diary of a C9300-M stack

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

A secret diary of a C9300-M stack

As there seems to be a lot of weariness surrounding the MS390 / C9300 / C9300-M series switches, I thought I'd document a set up experience.

When opening the boxes the first concern is that in both, the power supply had come out of the cardboard 'bracket' that is supposed to hold it on one side of the box and was loose, still surrounded by it's packing foam, but clearly having been thown about!  The switch itself is very well protected, so at least that is good.

The first switch was put on a desk, power supply inserted, port 1 connected to the internet and powered up.  After about 10 minutes of various sequences of yellow and green lights on the front, then seemed to settle down to steady green and blue.

The serial number was added to the dashboard and after another 5-10 minutes then switch went green and the assorted status pages showed the expected states with the main difference being the power page where there is information about power stacking, both ports showing down at this time.

The second switch was set up and a cable connected between them.  As before it took about 10 minutes for the lights to settle down and the switch to go green in the dashboard.

The power stacking cables were then connected (using some from existing C3850s), this did not initially show up anything on the dashboard. 

When the data stacking cables were connected the switches rebooted, formed a stack called stack - 2 (there was already an MS stack in the network) and now the power stacking correctly reported ports up on both switches and power sharing across the stack.  Interestingly, even though each switch has an 1100W power supply, there is only 510W of PoE available:

1000008533.jpg

Tomorrow - DHCP with options... 

12 Replies 12
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You’re having fun with these @cmr .

Only 510 PoE budget instead of 740?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

Yeah, and this is not isolated to Meraki only.. It's actually a Cisco-thing.

You'd expect that adding N switches you'd get N times PoE capability, but not exactly..

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/white-paper...

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Day 2

Creating a layer 3 interface works the same as on an MS with the default gateway needing to be defined when the first is set up..  I then enabled the DHCP server and added the required options, unfortunately options 15 (Domain Name) and 46 (NetBIOS node type) are not supported and you get the message below:

cmr_0-1709223800733.png

Interestingly, the named option 45 - "NetBIOS name server" does work!

I have logged a support ticket and await feedback beyond the initial "this is unsupported".

BHC_RESORTS
Head in the Cloud

What an oddly specific lack of support.

BHC Resorts IT Department
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Indeed, I'm working with Meraki support and tech presales, pointing out that having this limitation isn't a minor inconvenience, at least for us...  Hopefully getting some traction.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

New firmware!

Last night a new CS firmware 16.7 was released into the stable channel.  I applied this to the C9300M stack and after a few minutes the switch stack rebooted to apply it.  Ten minutes later the switches completed their upgrade and again show green in the dashboard.

I tried the failed DHCP options again, but unfortunately they still fail 😞

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Front panel

The C9300 series has the below front panel:

cmr_0-1709226785488.png

On the C9300-M switches we have, the bottom row of lights functions as documented, but the top row are not lit up and you cannot use the mode button to select between them.  As the switches are dashboard managed, I presume this is by design.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I pressed the mode button for a few seconds to see if I could get any of the top row lights to show, unfortunately this rebooted the switches and led them non functional.  Pressing the button for over 21 seconds engaged the factory reset routine and half an hour later the switches were working again.

Although this did recover them, I am somehwat concerned that a simple 2-3 second press of a mode/reset button can take a while stack offline.

Tomorrow I hope to have more news about the DHCP options, hopefully there is a plan to fix them quickly. 🙂

DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Interesting.  Holding down the mode button set them back to factory default? Really?  

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The prescribed method to reset to factory default is pressing the mode button for at least 21 seconds.  This worked as advertised.  However pressing it for 2-3 seconds is what rebooted the switch into an indeterminate non-functioning state.  The only way to recover it was to perform the reset to factory default!

thomasthomsen
Head in the Cloud

Oh god I hope someone with product responsibility sees this.

Seemingly small clicks of the front , kinda exposed, button == restart.... uh oh ...

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Today, power stacking testing:

We removed the power cable from one switch and as expected the stack continued to be fully powered from the remaining power supply.  An excellent feature that I wish the MS switches would have!

The power stacking light on the front of the switch with the active power supply changed from solid green to solid amber to indicate that it is now critical, whilst the light remained green on the other switch.

On the dashboard, the StackPower figures adjust as expected, but the PoE budget and usage figures go a bit AWOL!

cmr_0-1709295441545.png

On the switch with no connected power cable, the numbers all adjust as expected:

cmr_2-1709295990847.png

Another quirk is that if you have MS and CS switches in the same network and flip between them, the StackPower section of the Power tab does not show unless you refresh the page.  I don't know if this happens in CS only networks.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels