2 MX and a Switch for warm spare

Solved
ANC
New here

2 MX and a Switch for warm spare

Hello everyone from Spain.

I have a client who has an MS210-24, 2 MX67s and a public IP offered by his ISP. Is it possible to connect the two MX with warm spare using VLAN on the switch? The idea is ports 1-4 VLAN 10 and the rest VLAN 1. Connect the router isp in port 1 and the two mx in ports 2 and 3 for WAN and 5 and 6 for lan. Could you put the same ip-wan on both MXs using STP on the port?

Thanks and sorry for the google translation.

1 Accepted Solution
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, you can't set the same WAN IP on both MXes, the only way is using a NATed IP for WAN interfaces.https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/MX_Warm_Spare_-_High_Availability_Pair

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Take a look here for info / a slide deck regarding using a switch for lan and wan

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/How-to-turn-MS120-into-WAN-breakout-for-2-ISPs-and-2...

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

As @alemabrahao says, each MX needs its own IP address.  Considering changing to a circuit with the ISP that comes with a /29, or using two Internet circuits.

ANC
New here

Thank you for your response. As I already knew, I will have to convince the customer to hire a /29 or keep the second MX in a closet until I need it. 

It would not be a bad idea to implement the option of wan port off until the connection error and spare activation.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels