10gbe base-t meraki switch

SOLVED
watdee
Getting noticed

10gbe base-t meraki switch

Currently have all Meraki switching, was looking to get a 10gbe base-t meraki switch for our vmware hosts \ server rack but it looks like Meraki only has 10gbe fiber.  Am I missing something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MS350-24X has 8 x MGig ports.  MGig ports can also operates as 10GBaseT ports.

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/switches/ms350-24x

BUT 10GBaseT has about 100 times more latency than SFP+, so I could not recommend this technology for servers - and especially for anything transaction orientated like storage, databases, Microsoft, Exchange, etc. Try and go for SFP+ if you can.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MS350-24X has 8 x MGig ports.  MGig ports can also operates as 10GBaseT ports.

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/switches/ms350-24x

BUT 10GBaseT has about 100 times more latency than SFP+, so I could not recommend this technology for servers - and especially for anything transaction orientated like storage, databases, Microsoft, Exchange, etc. Try and go for SFP+ if you can.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth While I don't disagree that there is a difference in latency between 10G-T & SFP+ (around 2.3 microseconds vs 0.3), plenty of environments use 10G-T without an issue. I'd personally argue that 10G-T is more convenient and easier to implement in existing environments. Greenfield environment I'd probably argue the other way. 

My main point for the thread is: don't think if you implement 10G-T you'll run into trouble with iSCSI, Exchange, SQL, etc. It can be absolutely fine for most environments. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

But why biff away so much performance when usually only a small number of SFP+ ports are needed for servers and storage?

Especially when you consider the cost of an MS350-24X (just so you can get 10GBaseT) ports versus an MS250 and getting SFP+ cards for the servers.  TwinAx SFP+ cables are also relatively cheap.

I guess I find it hard justifying to myself why you would want to spend extra money for lower performance.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth I wouldn't buy MS350's or MS250's to support servers/storage is part of it 😉

MRCUR | CMNO #12
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Fair comment.  🙂

I have had good success using the MS425-16 switches for servers and storage.  They don't have a lot of buffering though, so you must have sure to only use 10Gbe SFP+ connections and not put it any SFP Gigabit modules (a 10Gbe port sending to a 1Gbe port can require a lot of buffering to avoid packet loss).

Triptych
Conversationalist

Am I correct that SSD latency might be something like 30 microseconds? So it would be well under that with either, and only a factor in very high performance environments..

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Am I correct that SSD latency might be something like 30 microseconds?

Drives like Intel's 900P have a latency of 10us.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/123623/intel-optane-ssd-900p-series-280gb-2-5in... 

Next year, who knows.

kevinfor
Here to help

I have contacted Meraki Development about offering a 10Gbase-T/MGig 24 port combo Switch (Similar to Netgear XS724EM - except with UPOE or POE+ support)  the answer was "we are aware of the request for 10Gbase-T & more MGig options from Customers...."  - let's be honest 10Gbase-T is less expensive -vs- SFP+ and for some... it works.. 

WilliamQin
Getting noticed

Hi watdee

you can see  cisco SFP-10G-T-S, the from amazon,  https://www.amazon.com/10Gtek-SFP-10G-T-S-Compatible-10GBase-T-Transceiver/dp/B01KFBFL16/ref=sr_1_fk..., below comment say can support ms225.

The fact the no one else makes 10GBaseT SFP+ adaptors including Cisco for any make of switch makes me suspicious of this product.

"to good to be true"

At your own risk I'll add.  Meraki does not lock out 3rd party optics, and I've seen multiple 3rd party optics work in Meraki switches, and if these work for you I won't tell you not to use them (since there's no other choice yet apparently) but it is officially not certified and not supported.  Definitely don't buy these in bulk until you've conducted your own tests on a trial basis.

@PhilipDAth- We had an issue recently where we only had CAT6 cable in the walls & need to link two switches with 10G SFP+ Together..  we did find SFP+ module to convert it  to 10Gbase-T RJ45 Connection from a company called Hummingbird networks..  but the price of the modules were really expensive (like $500+ each..  (now that might be cheaper then running a new OM4 Fiber cable in the walls...)

we still don't understand why Cisco/Meraki sells "approved SFP+" modules for their switches for like $300 and a 3rd party with the same specs is ($50 10G-SR or $140 10G-LR) now if the "Cisco Approved" was say 25% more - we understand the testing involved, higher quality components - but we refuse to pay a 1000% mark-up mostly for profit.

About 10G SFP, You have not used it, it does not mean it does not exist,😀

We have a very small vmware environment with 5 hosts so I don't think users would notice much difference between 10gbe Fiber and base-t.  The main reason for looking into this is to help decide what nics to put in new servers as the old ones get replaced.  Is there any reason not to go 10gbe base-t over 1gbit other than price?  The reasoning here is that we can get 10gbe base-t nics now and replace the switch at a later date.  Currently using MS320 48 port switch.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is there much of a price difference between an SFP+ NIC and a 10GBaseT NIC?  If the price difference is small and you only have 5 servers wouldn't it make sense to go with the significantly lower latency technology?

@PhilipDAthwrote:

Is there much of a price difference between an SFP+ NIC and a 10GBaseT NIC?  If the price difference is small and you only have 5 servers wouldn't it make sense to go with the significantly lower latency technology?

If I go with SFP+ NIC's, I'd also need copper gbics for now since we don't plan to upgrade the switch until later.  The price is similar not including gbics.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Gigabit ports usually come built in - so couldn't you use those until you get an SFP+ capable switch?

@PhilipDAthwrote:

Gigabit ports usually come built in - so couldn't you use those until you get an SFP+ capable switch?

The built in ports can be selected as well but yeah I'm considering getting both types of ports for flexibility.  The MS350-24X does seem like it could work fine with 10gbe nics, correct?  I was not aware of that unit until now.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes the MS350-24X will work with 10GBaseT NICs (on the MGig ports).

WilliamQin
Getting noticed

I think there is no better way. Meraki doesn't have SFP 10G copper.Regarding whether or not to support third-party SFP 10G copper, you can purchase its own test from Amazon. You can see some comments about the module. Someone tested it on the Meraki MS device and it works.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels