Vision Portal Floorplans

Dunky
A model citizen

Vision Portal Floorplans

When logged in as a non-admin user (view and export any footage), the floorplan shown in the Vision Portal is not shown, we just see the Google map onto which the cameras are superimposed.
When using an Admin account, the floorplan is displayed correctly when selecting the camera.
Is this a known bug or am I missing something?

7 Replies 7
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The issue you're experiencing with the Vision Portal could be due to a variety of reasons. It's possible that the non-admin user doesn't have the necessary permissions to view the floorplan. 

Ensure that the non-admin user has the correct permissions set. Sometimes, certain features or views are restricted to admin users only. You might need to adjust the user's permissions to allow them to view the floorplan. Ensure that you're using a compatible browser. Some features might not work correctly in certain browsers.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MV/Advanced_Configuration/Restricting_Access_to_Cameras

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

This is a known limitation today. You need to have at least read access to the Network or Org to see the floorplan in Vision Portal.

The same applies to dashboard. If logged in as a Camera only admin you cannot see the Location tab for Cameras which is where the floorplan would be. Nor can you see the Network-wide menu which also contains the Map & floor plans page.

Thanks Ryan.  I will have a look in the morning although it does seem strange that it isnt displayed by default in the Vision Portal.

The purpose of a camera only admin is to give someone such as a security guard access to view camera feeds and historical footage. It's not meant to give management access to the cameras which includes floor plans because in most instances a guard will know where the camera is located, the IT person on the other hand just gets the camera working and most likely never views any footage. 

Correct me if I'm wrong in that @Ryan_Miles 

Well, it's how it works today. We show the location overlayed on a google map. Showing it on floor plans would also make sense to me. But that will require some permissions work etc on the backend to change that behavior. A few others have requested this feature enhancement already.

I have tested giving the user R/O access to the network that the cameras are in, and yes that ensures that the floorplan shows correctly in the Vision Portal.

The problem is though that these are just users - they will just get confused with seeing AP's, switches, Security appliances etc.

So its not something we can enable just for the cameras to show correctly on the floorplan.  The Google maps display is of no use - it shows cameras in the middle of the river - not having the display at all would be better than the google map without a floorplan to show where the cameras actually are.    The site would use this to show contractors where the cameras are physically located when they need maintenance/replacement.

I will therefore leave this as-is and submit a Feedback form on the dashboard.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.