RTSP camera link to Access Control only uses ONVIF

Dscott84
Here to help

RTSP camera link to Access Control only uses ONVIF

I am trying to link some of my Meraki Cameras to my access control system. I am having to use RTSP to do this, but when I add the camera IP into my access control system and then attempt to view the camera, a popup windows comes up telling me that I need to install the VLC Media Player extension (which no longer exists).  I contacted the access control software people and they told me that their system will play any camera that connects via IP and uses ONVIF.

So, is this something that Meraki MV cameras are not capable of doing, or am I doing something wrong?

If I connect to the camera directly through a player like VLC, I can access a live stream via RTSP, so it seems to be the IP connection with the access control system.

All of this is being done on an internal LAN for my network.

8 Replies 8
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It's probably something on your server, RTSP for Meraki MV is very simple.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Meraki MV cameras do not support ONVIF.   Other than RTSP to make the video stream available, the MV system is designed to be proprietary, to ensure it's high degree of security, reliability and ease-of-use.   Do you have Meraki licensing for your MV cameras?   If so, you'd conduct all of your management for the system through the Meraki Dashboard or the related Vision Portal.

API-based capabilities also allow a high degree of secure integration with vision-related systems

Hi @GreenMan , does Meraki camera send out RTSP stream via TCP or UDP?

GreenMan
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Good Q, not covered by the documentation.   I set up a quick pcap on my MS switch;   with my MV72 , running MV 5.3 firmware, the RTSP is all TCP, port 9000   Tested with VLC

Thanks much @GreenMan. And just to confirm there is no way to configure the camera to utilize UDP?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

These are your only configuration options.

PhilipDAth_0-1704836606939.png

@GreenMan , did you also try telling VLC to connect via UDP as well (it defaults to TCP)?  Perhaps it supports both.

Use RTP over RTSP (TCP) was already unchecked.   Admittedly, I didn't capture the very first stream between my machine and the camera (so maybe there's some dynamic settings caching going on), but I see no UDP traffic between the two, when starting streams now - not even an initial 'give UDP a go'.   I may retest later, when I can fully restart my PC

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It looks like H.264 encoding is used.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MV/Advanced_Configuration/MV_Encoding_Improvements%3A_Smart_Codec 

That's an industry standard ...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.