Not able to access Meraki MV21 - Direct Streaming

FaisalM
Just browsing

Not able to access Meraki MV21 - Direct Streaming

Hi team,

Kindly informed that i have nine MV21 cameras in the same network. Two of them are showing as direct streaming and the rest seven are showing as cloud. We need all these cameras on direct LAN streaming. please advise, what could be the issue that only two cameras are on Direct LAN and remaining on the cloud. Your quick support will be highly appreciated. Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
lfischer-gcpl
Here to help

We had a similar issue to this 6-8 weeks ago. You might try to reset the camera.

To reset an MV security camera to the factory defaults, press the button located next to the Ethernet port of the camera for 5 seconds. Please be aware that after resetting the unit, the device will need to download its latest configuration from Dashboard. Please be patient as this could take up to 5 - 10 minutes. 

If that doesn't work out for you, support has always been happy to assist us.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

All of the cameras have the same IP gateway, subnet etc...?

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.

Hi,

Yes same for all nine cameras. Only two cameras are ok with direct stream but remaining seven cameras are through cloud. I already did to remove these seven cameras from network and rejoin these again. Lot of times rebooted but still through cloud.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

On the computer that you are opening to view the feeds, can it ping each of the cameras?

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.

Yes, from the PC where i am using the dashboard, it can be ping to all nine cameras to their local LAN IP.

If i reset the camera, can this solve our issue to be working through direct LAN?

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Try using the Network console in Chrome dev tools to see what's happening when you try to access one of the broken cameras. You should be able to see Chrome trying to access the camera directly via an <ip address>.devices.meraki.direct domain which should give a 200 response if it's working. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12

Hello FaisalM

Did you ever manage to get a direct stream? I had the same issue these days and I found out, that it may depend on the browser-type and browser-settings you use. In my case, I had to use chrome browser. With Firefox, I was not lucky. It's well possible, that my firefox-browser has got misconfigured over time.

Good luck,

Ami

Adageddon
Conversationalist

Each MV will generate a unique domain name to allow for secured direct streaming functionality.

These domain names resolve an A record for the private ip address of the camera. Any public recursive DNS server will resolve this domain.

If utilizing an on site DNS server, please whitelist '*.devices.meraki.direct' or configure a conditional forwarder so that local domains are not appended to '*.devices.meraki.direct' and that these domain requests are forwarded to Google public DNS.

I used 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 as DNS server and it finally worked! 

Hi Adageddon,

Is it necessary to use Google DNS? Can you please elaborate on how you set this up to get it working?

I tried different browsers, upgraded the cam OS to 4.0 and still no luck. Also updated my PC's host file with a static entry pointing to the internal IP of the camera. No luck! Ping to the MV camera is fine.

Dev tools in chrome shows a failure for:

Request URL: https://10-219-201-98.683a1effae67.devices.meraki.direct/hls/64d3052ea7320a5c4972b06226cf65ac.m3u8

Next entry is a success when it resolves the meraki dashboard url.

Our web proxy is not showing anything being denied for '*.devices.meraki.direct' so wondering how the traffic flow actually works when accessing the MV cameras locally.

Any help will be much appreciated.

I know this is a little late, but I also had experienced this issue. I found that DNS resolution for {local-IP-Add}.{camera-MAC}.devices.meraki.direct was being refused when using my ISP DNS resolvers. To overcome this problem I changed my DNS resolvers for my network to Cloudflare (1.1.1.1) and Google (8.8.8.8) with the corresponding IPv6 resolvers also.

Once your DNS resolvers provide the correct answer then direct lan access works fine.

Thanks for this information - it helped me to understand the problem and get to a resolution.

Banfield75
Getting noticed

Try to update the software to MV 4.0. It solved streaming problem for me.  

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.