Motion detection

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Motion detection

Either I have misunderstood how motion detection on the MV works or I am doing something stupid.

I have a camera setup near an entrance. I have enabled motion based retention and marked out an area of interest which only captures an area in from of the doorway. 

The issue is every piece of motion even outside of the selected area show as an activation on the timeline which is a problem because there is a road in the background of the view so every car that goes past is considered motion. 

Is this normal? Every other brand of camera I have used only records motion in the selected area of interest. 

12 Replies 12
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

But does it only show movement or is it also recording when movement is detected outside the selected area?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Theoretically, only the selected area should be considered.

So I suggest you open a support case.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MV/Initial_Configuration/Motion_Based_Retention

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Motion-based retention only kicks in for footage that is 3 or more days old.

Where in the documentation does this say?

https://documentation.meraki.com/MV/Initial_Configuration/Motion_Based_Retention 

"The industry-standard motion-based recording is never considered 100% effective, and some missed events are expected. To combat this, when motion-based retention is enabled, the footage will continue to be recorded on a 24/7 basis. This provides a three-day buffer period to review any events containing limited motion (e.g. <5% total scene coverage), events in low light conditions (e.g. at night time), or events with far-away objects for significant events. After this three-day safety net, the camera trims footage based on its index of motion events."

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You could also consider drawing a privacy window over the road.

Yes I did consider this and wanted to avoid it in case having background footage could have been useful i.e. criminal activity but it looks like this might be the only option. 

It would be nice if strict motion detection was an option that could be enabled as I am sure there are others in the same boat. 

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

The camera should still show motion events on the timeline after 3 days with MBR enabled, but unless the motion occurs with the area of interest it shouldn't be saved.

Example from my MV52. Area of interest does not include main road into the neighborhood.

area of interest.png

The last 3 days of video are saved, anything older is only saved when motion occurs in the area of interest.

MBR timeline.png

While motion occurs on the street it's outside the area of interest and not saved. The motion thumbnail is hosted in AWS, not on the camera (you can right click on them and see the link).

motion outside of area of interest.png

Ryan / Meraki Solutions Engineer

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solves your problem please click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.

Thanks for the information, it would be useful if general motion detection and area of interest detection were shown as different colours. 

Otherwise the option to follow industry standards but I would have thought different colours would be easier to code. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Agreed, the motion detection is not up to standard yet.  I was looking to see when a courier dropped off a particular package by our entrance and the MV72X gave me 200+ motion events to look at over a few days.

We have people only detection enabled and live at the end of a private lane so there are a max of 10 people in that part of the view per day. 

We also get hundreds of motion events when it rains at night.

So far we've tried regular and experimental models and V1 and V2 detection and are waiting on support for more ideas.

Hopefully something can be done as otherwise the MV cameras are pretty good!

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Agreed, a Hikvision camera is a fraction of the price and has industry standard motion detection. Sure the new gen cameras let you search based on the colour of the shirt someone is wearing but that basics aren't there yet. 

I am having a hard time justifying any further MV purchases. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Meraki support have acknowledged the issues I'm having and are working to resolve it.  Let's hope it is sooner rather than later 🤞

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.