Motion detection & privacy windows

Solved
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Motion detection & privacy windows

Hoping someone knows the answer because I cannot find it in the documentation but if I draw a privacy mask is that area excluded from motion detection? 

I.e. if I mask over a plant that likes to blow in the wind will this stop the motion detection for that area?

Yes I know I can reduce the sensitivity but that isn't an option as we are already at 95% and having issues with the cameras not detecting motion and alerting it. I have been going backwards and forwards with support to the point MV devices are being reconsidered. 

1 Accepted Solution
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

https://documentation.meraki.com/MV/Initial_Configuration/Privacy_Windows

"Additionally, privacy windows will block motion and people detection. This means privacy windows can be used to screen persistent motion (like a ceiling fan or display) to increase storage times in conjunction with the motion-based retention tool."

Ryan / SE - Networking

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solves your problem please click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

https://documentation.meraki.com/MV/Initial_Configuration/Privacy_Windows

"Additionally, privacy windows will block motion and people detection. This means privacy windows can be used to screen persistent motion (like a ceiling fan or display) to increase storage times in conjunction with the motion-based retention tool."

Ryan / SE - Networking

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solves your problem please click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Perfect thank you @Ryan_Miles , next will be a feature request to be able to draw privacy windows in the same way you can with areas of interest so that you are not just drawing square boxes. 😉

I asked for that years ago

Ryan / SE - Networking

I have submitted feedback so fingers crossed. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.