Meraki Display 15-20 second delay

Aquatoes
Getting noticed

Meraki Display 15-20 second delay

Hello,

Our clients love the idea of the Meraki Display on Apple TV but we have noticed that on the local lan or using apple tv offsite there is about a 15-20 second delay from when something happens to when you see it on the apple TV.

We are on the newest Meraki Display app version in the app store and we have even tried going to the new 5.5 beta on the MV cameras hoping the improved RTSP in the update would help shorten the delay but that was not the case.

I don't understand why Apple TV and Iphones have such a delay when viewing from PC or browser is near real time.

Can we expect this delay to be shortened and get a similar experience as viewing from a PC any time soon?

3 Replies 3
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Neither the mobile app or Display app use RTSP. This is more of a HLS vs. LL-HLS issue.

Hopefully improvements will come that shorten the delay in both. 

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This is common, I have used RTSP to get around this but didn't find it reliable. 

If you need minimal latency maybe Meraki MV isn't for you. 

I don’t get it. Some people say Apple TV / Meraki Display station doesn’t support RTSP yet it shows network streaming and RTSP refreshing was fixed in the last Meraki Display app update. My issue isn’t a reliable stream just that on PC even offsite the stream is only 1 second or so delay when on Apple TV it is 15-20 second delay. If they are using RTSP and it’s on network it makes no sense for such a delay outside a codec mismatch in the firmware. The support team has been saying this will be fixed for over a year and I feel like it’s just gotten worse not better. A year ago it was like 8-10 second delay now 15-20 seconds. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.