MV22X, IR LED's reflecting off inside of dome

SOLVED
DR1
Getting noticed

MV22X, IR LED's reflecting off inside of dome

We have just started installing 23 MV series cameras. On our first night vision test with an MV22X, we had such severe IR LED reflection on the inside of the dome that it rendered the camera non-functional.

To confirm, yes we removed the temporary protective plastic.

Has anyone else experienced this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
EJN
A model citizen

Also, look at this article. It can also be a misplaced gasket against the dome.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MV/Troubleshooting/Troubleshooting_MV_Image_Quality

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
dlowery
Getting noticed

Usually this is due to smudging on the dome from the installers fingers. Have you tried taking a bottle of windex to the inside and outside of the dome, and then carefully replacing it without touching the dome? It could also be condensation on the inside, make sure the silica packet is still in place.

DR1
Getting noticed

Thanks for these details. It does seem to be related to smudging from the rubber surrounding the lens pressing against the inside of the dome in an area that the camera focal point was adjusted to.

Is there suppose to be a silica packet inside the camera housing?

dlowery
Getting noticed

I believe so. Not all models have a silica packet, and its real tempting to throw it out (or eat it). If it comes with one, then the packet should stay.

EJN
A model citizen

Also, look at this article. It can also be a misplaced gasket against the dome.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MV/Troubleshooting/Troubleshooting_MV_Image_Quality

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
DR1
Getting noticed

@EJN 

Kicking myself now because this article was hiding in plain site.

I think this was the problem in at least one of the cases earlier and suspect that I could improve IR quality by loosening some of the MV22x gaskets before tightening the covers back into place so they're pressed right up against the dome.

Thanks for pointing it out!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.