MV22 / MV72 Auto Focus vs Manual Focus

EJN
A model citizen

MV22 / MV72 Auto Focus vs Manual Focus

After installing a camera, I will run auto-focus and usually I get a good, clear view. I have noticed however that when I view the camera the next day (or after some period of time), the focus seems off.

Is auto-focus always running to attempt to get the best possible image? Does people movement (traffic vs empty) and light conditions (day vs night) affect the auto-focus?

Once I have an auto-focus I like, should I switch the camera to manual focus?

Or is the whole point of a vari-focal camera to keep auto-focus on?

Looking for advice / best practice on focusing the cameras.

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
1 REPLY 1
Priesty
Building a reputation

Hi @EJN 

This is a good question and something we experimented with alot. We found with the MV22s that if you switch it over to manual focus then yes, sometimes they do become unfocused under certain circumstances.

What we found fixed it (and im not sure if it was intended to fix it), but if you use the "focus on certain region" tool then this kept it focused.

We also found if the camera was mounted near bright lights (eg downlights, exit signs etc) then the focus would also change even when it was set to auto-focus. We used the sensor region tool to help fix this (which seems to be working).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.