MV12WE Mounting

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

MV12WE Mounting

Any suggestions on mounting an MV12WE to a drop ceiling T bar? The mounting kits from what I can tell are for wall mounting or pole mounts.

6 REPLIES 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There are no T-Bar "Meraki" mounts.  These are the kits available:

https://meraki.cisco.com/products/security-cameras/mounts

The MV12's are quite light, so I guess a T-Bar could handle it.  I guess just double check the loading specification for the T-Bar.

@SoCalRacer  Could you not mount on the ceiling tile itself? Sandwich the tile between the camera and a piece of wooden board on the otherside so that it has a decent fixing. 

Much easier to replace the tile than the T-bar when you end up replacing hardware. 

@BlakeRichardson wrote:

@SoCalRacer  Could you not mount on the ceiling tile itself? Sandwich the tile between the camera and a piece of wooden board on the otherside so that it has a decent fixing. 

Much easier to replace the tile than the T-bar when you end up replacing hardware. 

The MV12's are so light there isn't really a need to have a wooden bar above the tile. We screw directly into the tile with the plastic screw retainers (for drywall) above the tile to keep the screws secure. We're over 1,000 deployed now and none have come off tiles unless encouraged by flying objects. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

The space is leased and we were more worried about damage to tiles, so thats why I asked about the t-bar, t-rail mount. I feel like I might need to get creative and 3D print one for testing 🙂

Priesty
Building a reputation

We had a similar issue where a client didn't want to damage the ceiling tiles. It's a stupid thing considering how cheap ceiling tiles are but anyway, we ended up running a thin metal strip from each side of the ceiling tile (almost like a belt that goes around your pants) and then got a little creative and mounted the camera only to this metal strip. We also had to run some conduit across this strip for the ethernet cable to power it. It ended up looking pretty average as usually we just drill through the ceiling tile and drill screws into wood (I wouldn't recommend mounting the camera directly to the ceiling tile without a backing board - it's not worth it and you never get a tight fit).

We had another project with similar issues and we told the client that should the cameras we removed we will replace the ceiling tile with a new one - we built the cost of the new ceiling tile into the price of the solution and stored them away at their premises - so dumb.

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Kind of wondering if the MR33 mount kit could be reused for the MV12 since it comes with a mount for a t-bar. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.