MV series cameras show black tiles on local network but not across wan.

BadAssBassinD
Here to help

MV series cameras show black tiles on local network but not across wan.

Hello, 

I am hoping someone can give me some insight to this persistent issue. We have well over 400 MV series cameras, 12s, 22s, and 72 series hardware. Internally we operate them off a pc so a security designee can view a camera or two to allow a visitor to enter the building safely, naturally. 

In almost every location, a camera on a local subnet, where it is being viewed, will either display a black tile/or go black.

The users then complain, it is a security issue, b/c they cannot see the entrance door or visitor. Most times these cameras are being viewed on a computer and that is it's sole purpose to allow them to open up a few tiles to view entrance doors etc. 

Users will put in tickets explaining the camera is not viewable, however when i see these tickets, I am then able many times to view the camera in question across the network in another building but locally on that computer it shows a black screen. 

Can someone please help me understand why. I have had this issue consistently and i have not found a solid reason as to why this keeps occurring. Based on the requirements from meraki, a computer with an i5 and 4 gigs of memory should be able to support a 2 to 4 tile video wall with little lag, or jitter or video loss. Please help ? 

3 Replies 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That is weird.  Are they running the current stable firmware (5.x from memory)?

Is the web browser being used up to date?

When it is working, does it report (in the bottom left-hand corner) that it is using direct streaming?

Do you have any systems that does web scanning (proxy server, Cisco Umbrella, etc) that could be affecting the traffic?

Philip,

We are currently on 5. most chrome browsers auto update. I've seen in many cases they are using direct streaming. 

Yes we have a content filter, anti virus ... etc. but getting our dep to disable that would be like asking god to come visit earth. LOL ... 

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Try a different web browser, some browsers work better than others. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.