Expected Video Export Speed

SOLVED
Cagg
Conversationalist

Expected Video Export Speed

Hi there,

We've set up cameras for a customer with about 15-20 cameras per site (rural buildings), off a brand new network with single GigE LAN switch and firewall, and a 200/50Mbps down/up fibre from the local ISP. Nothing else is on these networks (network is completely locked down to wired cameras only on dedicated internet, no employees or WiFi access).

So far it looks like we are only getting export speeds of 1.1Mbps with MV72 cameras. Should we be expecting a faster upload speed for the export, or is this speed in line with what others are experiencing? I suspected maybe this is just a processing limitation of the chipset of the camera to put it on the wire.

Any feedback is appreciated. 

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @Cagg I wouldn't be too concerned, I think you're referring to the brief throughput and remaining file size status message when exporting video from a camera, like in this attached image. I tried a couple quick ones and got 7 and 11Mbps.  

Retrieving video from camera.jpg

That is not necessarily showing that the camera itself is exporting the video slowly, but I believe is an overall rough average that would include multiple factors, including the throughput of your camera's control plane connection all the way through Dashboard as well.  Sure 1.1Mbps seems a bit slow but there are many variables including things external to MV and Dashboard itself.

Sort of like when you run a Dashboard throughput test from the Tools tab, like for a wireless AP, that is not meant to reflect the throughput capability of the AP or serve as a speed test, but just to show there is an adequate control plane connection to Dashboard. 

The cameras themselves have pretty high-end processors (since they perform advanced analytics as well) so your MV72 should be connecting at 1Gbps full duplex and the chipset is certainly capable of putting more than several Mbps on the wire. 

I'd say try this at different times on different cameras and if this seems to be consistently slow across the board - or perhaps just the opposite, if you find only a few cameras that are much lower/slower than most others, let's get a case open to investigate a little deeper.  Also check the wired connection itself, run a cable test, check to make sure there's not a duplex mismatch for example. 

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @Cagg I wouldn't be too concerned, I think you're referring to the brief throughput and remaining file size status message when exporting video from a camera, like in this attached image. I tried a couple quick ones and got 7 and 11Mbps.  

Retrieving video from camera.jpg

That is not necessarily showing that the camera itself is exporting the video slowly, but I believe is an overall rough average that would include multiple factors, including the throughput of your camera's control plane connection all the way through Dashboard as well.  Sure 1.1Mbps seems a bit slow but there are many variables including things external to MV and Dashboard itself.

Sort of like when you run a Dashboard throughput test from the Tools tab, like for a wireless AP, that is not meant to reflect the throughput capability of the AP or serve as a speed test, but just to show there is an adequate control plane connection to Dashboard. 

The cameras themselves have pretty high-end processors (since they perform advanced analytics as well) so your MV72 should be connecting at 1Gbps full duplex and the chipset is certainly capable of putting more than several Mbps on the wire. 

I'd say try this at different times on different cameras and if this seems to be consistently slow across the board - or perhaps just the opposite, if you find only a few cameras that are much lower/slower than most others, let's get a case open to investigate a little deeper.  Also check the wired connection itself, run a cable test, check to make sure there's not a duplex mismatch for example. 

Hope that helps.

Cagg
Conversationalist

Thank you Dave, makes sense. Would it be accurate to assume the Dashboard is in the AWS cloud or something similar? (in terms of where the data is being uploaded geographically)

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.