Cisco Meraki Cameras:

Stanslas
Here to help

Cisco Meraki Cameras:

Cisco should come up with cameras that can have multifunctional settings to give us a highly productive on security. We do not need to install extra alarms, beams or also carrying gate remote, the camera should control your gate when you drive in or out and or ope your garage when you drive in. It should not be an ordinary cameras because there are so many ordinary cameras out there. We need to avoid too much cabling on premises, that is why i suggest advanced cameras that should be multifunctional.

5 REPLIES 5
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

That would mean that Meraki would have to implement a security system. Plus that would be way over the top because I don't believe you can add so much to little cameras like that. Not saying your idea is bad as I don't speak for Meraki but I believe that's not their aim. They want things to be simple and making a whole system like that is would make the simplicity turn into something overwhelming. Just my opinion btw @Stanslas  

Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply, my thought is mainly based on the evolution of technology, clients are looking for more easier way of doing things but secure at the same time. For intstance we have a client(a corporate) that have thousands of workers, its not easy to put security personnel at the gate to open and close booms/ gates. Fortunately, WiseNet has IR Cameras that we integrate with the ZKteco, the camera detects the number plate and triggers the boom to open. For visitors, they use a nother gate that is managed by security personnel. 

From what we do at the moment, i was very excited when i saw that Cisco Meraki is now have cameras as well. I trust Cisco as one of the Cisco Certified technician Routing and Switching, and thought this will be a big Bang!

No matter how small it is, it is possible to make Cisco Meraki cameras super, what is needed is to engage with the software developers and the harware to look into what customers needs. If cisco will continue making ordinary cameras it will not be a success. 

TheChad
Here to help

This plays well into IoT.  The Meraki cameras use MQTT via Meraki Sense that can be used to create a workflow to open a gate.  The danger is that the gate will open whenever ANYONE enters the zone.

Thanks, thats true. But only designated number plates that are in the database will be detected to trigger booms or gate to open. S

EJN
A model citizen

I agree with adding more features to the Meraki MV line, but I also don't consider them ordinary cameras.

For one thing, they are one of the few edge storage vendors. There are others, but most traditional vendors are using centralized storage/VMS.

I think the Meraki simplicity is also something to speak in favor of. Up and running is fast; configuration is fast; deployment to users is fast. Fast is relative, but generally speaking you can deploy Meraki MVs in a short period of time.

As for cabling, I don't know how to make them have less cables. I have mine with a PoE cable. You can also use a regular Ethernet with a PoE injector, or a low voltage power cable with the built in WiFi antenna. This last one primarily for cases where there was already an existing analog camera with a power cable you can tap into.

As for opening gates/garage upon detection of movement or some other element, I think this is more in the home/consumer line of cameras and not in the commercial implementation such as Meraki. I don't see Meraki going into the consumer market with their current product lines.

I agree with the other person as well who says that a "complex" direction is probably not where Meraki is headed.

Esteban J Nunez
School and Church
K-12 Education
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.