Cameras not staying online

JMLOSD
Here to help

Cameras not staying online

Anyone had cameras to keep bouncing?  

I have some cameras that they are only drawing the default PoE and their LLDP neighbor information is incomplete, something tells me they are never quite finishing the boot process before they decide to reboot again, hence all the port bouncing.  Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

4 Replies 4
ConnorL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Do you see the same issue if you directly connect the MV into the switch with a 1m Ethernet cable?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you upgraded to 5.3 or are you on 5.1/5.2 with 72(x) cameras?

JMLOSD
Here to help

I am on 5.1 and all of my cameras are back online. However, I am not able to go back and view footage from 5 minutes ago. When I try, I get the message video offline. I moved each of the cameras to a separate module on the switch. I am nervous about moving to a new firmware because when I did previously, I had about 20 cameras across my networks that took multiple weeks to finally come back online. I ended up having to replace some. 

a5it
Getting noticed

I understand that you're facing an issue where your cameras keep rebooting, which is likely interrupting their boot process and causing incomplete LLDP neighbor information. Here are some steps you might take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:

1. Check PoE Requirements: Confirm that your PoE switch is supplying adequate power for the cameras. While they might be drawing the default PoE, certain camera models may require more power for optimal operation. Consider using a PoE+ (802.3at) switch if you're currently using a standard PoE (802.3af) switch.

2. Try a Different Switch Port: If possible, try connecting the camera to a different port on the switch. If the camera operates correctly on a different port, the original port may be malfunctioning.

3. Test the Camera with a Different Switch: If available, try connecting the camera to a different switch entirely. If the camera works correctly on a different switch, the issue may be with your original switch.

4. Inspect the Ethernet Cables: Damaged or low-quality Ethernet cables can cause a variety of issues. Check for visible damage, and consider testing the camera with a new, high-quality cable to see if this resolves the issue.

5. Firmware Update: Ensure that your cameras and networking devices are running the latest firmware. An outdated firmware could potentially cause various issues.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.