Access to Cameras without internet

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Access to Cameras without internet

I am looking at MV cameras for my Org however the quesiton has been asked that if we are using the cameras during an emergency (viewing camera live) and the internet connection is severed then what happens.

Correct me if I am wrong but there is no local page to connect to cameras is there?

9 REPLIES 9
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

I don't think so. They don't have the option to statically define the ip either. Good question!

I would hope if you have local LAN access that it will still work but something tells me I'm overly optimistic on that front 😃
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

I agree @NolanHerring I am not holding my breath. Our main purpose for cameras is real time security followed by recording events outside of normal hours and lastly to be a deterant. 

If I cannot guarintee that the cameras are usable for viewing live events without an internet connection that would be game over for me looking at MV products.

I found this old post from George dating back to 2017 that answers the question.

Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 2.41.57 PM.png

Yeah you should have redundant circuits regardless. set that bad boy up for failover or SDwan. Cellular a good choice too.

what camera do you use?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Correct me if I am wrong but there is no local page to connect to cameras is there?

Correct.

If you have direct IP connectivity to the camera, and had started viewing it before the loss of Intrernet then I expect it should keep working.  The communication is all between you and the camera in this case.

You would not be able to start viewing a new camera though.  That has to be setup via the cloud.

@Doke  Yes we already have multiple circuits. I am trying to go with worse case scenario.

I have got a MV coming as part of my latest order so will get a good chance to have a play and see what works and what doesn't. I also have a firewall order coming up in the next few weeks so I think an MX67C is on the cards for our CCTV network. 

This is one of the issues with the MV line - in an all out disaster situ it comes unstuck a little

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.