MT14 - UPS off-gas detection?

RLEONARD-SJUSD
Conversationalist

MT14 - UPS off-gas detection?

We have networking rooms that contain both large and small UPS units. One of the larger rooms, which contains the largest of our UPS units (has both lead-acid and lithium-ion batteries) is showing some odd TVOC numbers on the MT14 sensor. We have had some of the lithium-ion batteries go into thermal runaway in the past and we are hoping that the MT14 sensor might catch some of these conditions with any of the gasses these two types of batteries emit or might emit.

Does anybody know if these sensors would detect excess Hydrogen or any of the many toxic gasses a failing Lithium-Ion battery might emit?  If so, how would that present itself on the Meraki Sensor Dashboard?

Thank you in advance.

This is a typical graph we are seeing in the TVOC detection area.. sometimes it goes even deeper red. Just wondering if what we are seeing could possibly be related to battery off-gassing.

RLEONARDSJUSD_0-1665171321581.png

4 Replies 4
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm really not an expert of the MT family , but looking at the documentation of the MT14 I'm really not sure : https://documentation.meraki.com/MT/MT_Datasheets/MT14_Datasheet_-_Indoor_Air_Quality_Monitor

Maybe someone from Meraki can affirm

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

Perhaps @CarolineS can help poke someone? Or @Larry_Woods ?

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

Answering to the question above, the MT14 can do temperature, humidity, ambient sound, TVOC and Particulate Matter.  Those are the sensors onboard.  As far as detecting things like excess Hydrogen or Lithium Ion, not directly it would not.  However this could fall in the realm of organic compounds as household cleaners and gasoline could make the floor level of detection increase.  All of this is extremely variable.  I would personally find a specific type of reader/sensor that can specifically read excess Hydrogen or Lithium Ion to confirm.  We don't detect (and most do not) specific types of volatile organic compounds but instead detect the presence of it if that makes sense.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I asked the Meraki MT team about this exact same thing after having a large lead acid battery overheat and vent releasing dangerous hydrogen sulfide. This gas in high concentrations instantly kills your sense of smell which means you could walk into a room filled with high levels and not know. This gas able able to kill as well. 

As @Larry_Woods mentioned the TVOC sensor might pick it up but not accurately. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.