MT10, MT20 with MR42 as gateway

MeVan
Here to help

MT10, MT20 with MR42 as gateway

I have the following meraki equipment: mt10, mt20, mr42, and MV12WE. When all productsinstalled the mt10 and mt20 automatically use MV12WE as gateway. But now I want to use MR42 as gateway. Documentation for mt10 says 'Make sure the gateway is in the same network and is online and operational. Click here for MV setup instructions and MR setup instructions.' but the MR link shows all MR documentation none of which mention anything about using MR as gateway for MT products. 

It appears to be a supported configuration but how to do it is a mystery. Can someone help. 

5 REPLIES 5
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@MeVan are you using the latest 28.3 MR firmware that includes MT connectivity as it was only recently added for WiFi5 wave 2 APs?

Wireless firmware versions MR 28.3 changelog

New

• Added MT sensor support for the MR33, MR42, MR42E, MR52, MR53, MR53E, MR74 and MR84.
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

MT's need to be in the same combined network as MV's and MR's to use them as gateway. Also, make sure the MR's are running the latest 28.3 which supports MT. Older MR firmware doesn't support MT.

Thanks @cmr and @Ryan_Miles I was not aware of the 28.x firmware requirement. My MR and other devices were just received and installed. The MR shows MR 27.7.1, Released Jun 23, 2021. I will see about forcing an update. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The MR42 is not a supported AP for using IoT sensors.  Only the second generation WiFi6 APs are support.

https://meraki.cisco.com/product/sensors/indoor-sensors/mt10/ 

• Compatible with Meraki MR36, MR45, MR46, MR46E, MR55, MR56, MR76, and MR86 Wi-Fi 6 access points

Most Wi-Fi 5 AP's are now supported in 28.3 (as posted by cmr above). Exception is the 30H.

MT documentation hasn't been updated to reflect this yet. But it's in the 28.3 release notes.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.