vMX100 License

BS
Getting noticed

vMX100 License

Hi all,

If I buy a vMX license does it come with IPS/AM features?

Regards

BS

7 REPLIES 7
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Fairly certain that those functions are not included with the vMX, its strictly an Auto-VPN concentrator
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Which means we need to have next generation features on a different box?
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

"Virtual MX is a virtual instance of a Meraki security appliance, dedicated specifically to providing the simple configuration benefits of site-to-site Auto VPN for customers running or migrating IT services to an Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure Virtual Private Cloud (VPC)."

So you basically would want to apply any of your IPS/AMP/L3/L7 policies/rules at the SPOKE (say an MX65 at a remote site) where as the vMX would be your HUB to simply terminate the vpn tunnels.
TwitterLinkedIn
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

Pretty sure that you'll need to have the Advanced Security licenses on the spoke MX appliances in order to get those features.
TwitterLinkedIn
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The vMX can only be a VPN concentrator and nothing else.

Correct.   The vMX100 is only used as an AutoVPN endpoint.

I wonder about its cohabitation with an MX that has Advanced Security in the same Organization.   You cannot mix and match Advanced and Enterprise licensing in the same organization.   So, if you have a Z3 user, you must create a new Organization for just that user.   

They need to fix that.   Such a pain.

>I wonder about its cohabitation with an MX that has Advanced Security in the same Organization.   You cannot mix and match Advanced and Enterprise licensing in the same organization

The VMX is an exception.  You can have a VMX and other devices with Advanced Security in the same organisation.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels