umbrella justification

jriordan
Conversationalist

umbrella justification

How have you been able to justify the added cost of umbrella for your organization?

What can you recommend to others for this justification?

18 REPLIES 18
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I to would be interested to know more about this. 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you only have MR and want to offer greater protection or more fine grained content filtering then Umbrella seems reasonable.  I can see use cases around guest WiFi as well.

If you have an MX with Advanced Security then I don't see the benefit.  The MX already has content filtering.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

Have you done a free trial?  I would start there.  The most basic Umbrella package, Professional has the roaming client which adds security and works off net.  Insights adds historical data for incident investigation.

So, to answer your question directly, I would say the roaming client, the additional visibility to security threats and maybe some scare tactics around recent news of ransomware, etc. should help you get buy in from the boss.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)

You would be surprised who needs Umbrella cover - https://umbrellahealth.co.uk/# 

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Nash
Kind of a big deal

A large portion of our workforce is at least partially remote. Heck, I'm remote right now while I wait for something to run.

We use the Umbrella roaming client to ensure people aren't browsing Bad Places on their work devices, without forcing them to use a full tunnel VPN.

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Also to think about, it stops issues where power users might be switching their own DNS settings. All in all it is added protection, I would say the best use case is remote workers and or unmanaged devices where you are trying to push your security. Helps enforce company browsing polices on wifi where BYOD are.

Agree to some others pointing out use case is an added level of security on off premises workers. Umbrella is complementing excisting AV and other security solutions. Umbrella Insights package via MSLA is the way to go. You can scale up and down based on usage with a monthly cost which gives additional flexibility what comes to the justification on cost.

Colm
Conversationalist

What is MLSA? The model sounds appealing.

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

@Colm wrote:

What is MLSA? The model sounds appealing.

Not 100% but I think he meant Managed SLA (Service Level Agreement) 🤷‍♂️

Nash
Kind of a big deal

@SoCalRacer For what it's worth, when using the roaming client at an MSP, I absolutely recommend allowing your on-site techs to temporarily disable the Umbrella RC. If I'm on a client site, I may need to use specific DNS on their network, and the RC doesn't always pick that up.

We're only allowed to do this so long as we very carefully re-enable it the second we're done. 

Everyone else? Install the invisible version and be done with it. We've 100% had people who "didn't want to be spied on" who've left the service turned off. (Who expects privacy on a work PC in the United States?)

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

I have tested this before as well the Umbrella/Meraki API integration. For what it's worth it actually is easy to use and you can add filtering based on Group Policies within Meraki. It was fun to test and as @SoCalRacer explained: 

"Also to think about, it stops issues where power users might be switching their own DNS settings." 

Enthusiast

@kYutobi 

I am doing some tests with Umbrella ( API ) using free trial and I can verify when are created inside " Group Policy " the police in Umbrella dashboard never goes to " Active ".

However, if I created integration inside " SSID " I can see policy going " Active ". Did you face something near of it?

Kind Regards,
Rodrigo
Twitter: @rar_21
If this was helpful Kudo me 🙂
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Can't say I did. All I had to do was create a "group policy" and link it to the "Umbrella policy" from there.

Enthusiast

I made it and working fine. Fine, that I can see inside of police, but never goes to " Active ".

Umbrella.png

It's weird.

Kind Regards,
Rodrigo
Twitter: @rar_21
If this was helpful Kudo me 🙂
mattia
Getting noticed

entering the loop of this conversation. we are very interested in Umbrella but couldn't really find good promo material

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

@mattia here is a sales slick I found: https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/se/2018/11/Collateral/umbrella-aag.pdf

BTW, if anyone wants a free trial, just DM me.  I have a partner console and can enable trials on the fly.

hey @BrandonS , that's a 403. I don't seem to be allowed to access that link.

BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

@mattia try this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bguhpmhze38txck/umbrella-aag.pdf?dl=0

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels