source VLAN for "Dashboard throughput"

Solved
Happiman-v2
Here to help

source VLAN for "Dashboard throughput"

Hello,

I have two ISPs on WAN1 and WAN2.

Right now my primary uplink is WAN2. However, I need to send the speed test traffic to WAN1.

My idea was to use the flow preference if know the source VLAN when I run it.

Do you guys have any idea?

1 Accepted Solution
Make_IT_Simple
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

I don't believe that the MX will use any specific VLAN for the test, it will just use the primary uplink for the test, in your case is WAN2. I am not sure what is the end goal here, but I just want to say that dashboard throughput is not really something that you can use as speed test data. If you want to test the speed, it is better to just use any device downstream of the MX (server or any computer), then you can use the server/computer IP to create your traffic shaping rule. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Make_IT_Simple
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

If you don't want to failover to WAN1, the only way to do it is to add a new flow preference for the device that you will use for speed test. You need to make sure that you don't have any active flow on that computer because it may slow the traffic shaping to take effect. 

Do you know which VLAN interface will run the speed test?

Happimanv2_0-1647896886518.png

Make_IT_Simple
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

I don't believe that the MX will use any specific VLAN for the test, it will just use the primary uplink for the test, in your case is WAN2. I am not sure what is the end goal here, but I just want to say that dashboard throughput is not really something that you can use as speed test data. If you want to test the speed, it is better to just use any device downstream of the MX (server or any computer), then you can use the server/computer IP to create your traffic shaping rule. 

MarkB2
Here to help

I believe the Dashboard Throughput test would be sourced from your WAN link, so no specific local VLAN.

It will respect your primary WAN link selection. If you want to setup a flow preference to a specific WAN link you might be better testing from an internal endpoint. Meraki doc indicates the built-in throughput test should not necessarily be relied on for accurate results.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Throughput_test_to...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels