not enough information to draw the root of this network?

JackShep
Here to help

not enough information to draw the root of this network?

Anyone know what this means? The Colo Switch stack is designated as the STP root. Should I worry about this? Anyone know how to correct it?

Meraki Problem.png

6 Replies 6
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Nothing to worry about. It might just not have the info. I have a core switch that is just like that only CDP tells me the info. As long as everything is running it should be fine. Weird that LLDP didn't kick in to grab info assuming it's a non-Cisco.

Annotation 2019-10-01 104917.jpg

Enthusiast

Its Meraki end to end, MX250 pair going to MS-425 stack

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

@JackShep That is odd. So the MX is suppose to be your root and nothing else is plugged in? 

Enthusiast
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

This often happens when there's an MX attached to the "core" switch in a Meraki network, and the reason is due to the MX not properly handling LLDP/CDP. 

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/MX_Layer_2_Functionality#Spanning_Tree_Prot...

I linked to the STP section of that document, but the LLDP/CDP section below also has similar behaviour. The MX will forward LLDP/CDP out every port other than the port it is received on, which violates those protocol guidelines. With regards to the topology diagrams this has the side effect of making the dashboard think there's another device in the network when there actually isn't. 

Do you think disabling the unused ports would do the trick? Or will I have to put a layer 3 device between my core and MX?

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Nope, I don't think disabling unused ports would do anything. It's just the way the topology feature works when there's an MX involved. 

Would you really add a new device and change your network around just so some silly diagramming feature works? You clearly know what your network looks like so is this really that important? Is the rest of the topology correct?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels