non-Meraki VPN peer

ninny
Conversationalist

non-Meraki VPN peer

Hello,

Hoping someone else has encountered this and can offer some guidance.  

I have a client that has two organizations.  Org 1 has their MX's which is managed by their ISP.  Org 2 has all of their other Meraki gear (switches, AP's, mobile gateway etc..)

Org 1 uses per device licensing

Org 2 uses co-term licensing

The client is looking to eventually move away from the ISP managing their firewalls because they really are not providing any management anyways.   

The client is setting up a new location so is looking to introduce a 3rd firewall.  Since they are looking to migrate away from their ISP for management, the idea was to put the new MX in org 2 and establish a non-meraki VPN peer to the other two sites. 

According to support, failover is not supported on non-meraki.   So I guess that means the option to use FQDN with version 18.1 or later is JUST for clients with DHCP.  This client has two MX100's in active/standby at both locations in org 1.  

So given this information, our next idea was to accept this risk of not having the 3rd site form a VPN tunnel on our backup WAN and once the contract is up with the ISP we could then pull in and license the MX100's in org 2 and use Auto-VPN.  

Problem is, it looks like the non-meraki peer configuration is organizational wide.   So I can only get the VPN to pin up to one network or the other within Org 1 from Org2. I'm not sure why it would ever be an organization wide setting - it should be a network wide setting right??? 

So I think the only way to solve this is to move the device from org2 (co-term) to org1 (per device) and use the auto-vpn feature.  Then when the contract is up with the ISP, move the device and licensing back under org2. 

Just wanted to check with the community to make sure I wasn't missing a simple fix here.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Using two different Organizations and establishing a non-Meraki tunnel is not a good strategy, as you end up losing everything that SD-WAN offers due to the limitation that the non-Meraki VPN has, so yes, this is the best strategy, putting everything in a single organization.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Could you elaborate on the limitation that the non-Meraki VPN in comparison to using the Auto-VPN?

I understand that the Auto-VPN uses the Meraki VPN registry to cache their VPN connectivity which helps the continuous usage in case of a VPN tunnel down as well as the failover to the secondary VPN tunnel, whereas the non-Meraki VPN does not offer these features (correct me if I am wrong)

Aside from that, is there any limitations in using non-Meraki VPN specifically for monitoring purposes?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Although non-Meraki VPNs are configured org-wide - you can control which networks use the VPN with tags.
https://meraki.cisco.com/blog/2015/01/now-in-the-meraki-mx-vpn-tagging/ 

PhilipDAth_0-1702837799871.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.