bad quality zoom calls

macsolutions
Getting noticed

bad quality zoom calls

I have a customer with two internet connections. 100 mb fibre, and asynchronous Comcast cable.

Primary uplink is WAN 2, the fibre connection.

Load balancing is enabled. Traffic shaping rules are default.

They cannot maintain a quality Zoom call.

Insight is set to monitor the Zoom web app (shows no trouble)

WAN health shows slightly more than 2% packet loss on the fibre connection for the last 2 hours, but less than 1% over the last month. Oddly enough, the Comcast cable connection seems better than the fibre connection.

Latency is at 7.2ms and Jitter is 1.3ms when set to test against 8.8.8.8. Zoom has too many IP addresses to test against.

VOIP health shows at least 4.2 on the MOS over the last week. Not that it matters - they don't complain about their VOIP. They also don't use their phones much, either.

Last time we opened a ticket with the WAN vendor, they didn't find any issue, but they did ask us to reboot everything. I opened a new ticket with the WAN vendor again today, but so far, no response.

I forced the customer to install this fibre connection, where we upgraded from a EoC connection for these issues. Now I'm not looking so good.

Where do I go to find the culprit here?

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Do you have any traffic shaping rule configured?

You can try creating a traffic shaping rule prioritizing Zoom.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/SD-WAN_and_Traffic_Shaping#Creating...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

I suggest changing the monitor from 8.8.8.8 to the default gateways of the two internet providers.  That is a better measure of loss and latency to the first hop.

You wrote, "They cannot maintain a quality Zoom call."  and also, "VOIP health shows at least 4.2 on the MOS over the last week. Not that it matters - they don't complain about their VOIP. They also don't use their phones much, either. 

Is the issue internet audio in meetings or events?  Or do they use Zoom Phone?  Or something else like video pixelating?  I am not clear on what the exact trouble is you are trying to troubleshoot and fix.

Have you worked with Zoom?  They have some very good, detailed troubleshooting tools on their side and some that may need to be enabled by support.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
AMorrison
Conversationalist

Load balancing? I was always told VOIP would never work reliably over load balanced circuits. Same for video calls?

Things may have changed since I was told this a while back.....

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Load balancing is enabled. Traffic shaping rules are default.

You can experiment, could you try turning this off please.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels