Z4 and Z3 licenses can be mixed?

Solved
AndreaP
Comes here often

Z4 and Z3 licenses can be mixed?

Hi all,

I have a customer asking for the new Secure teleworker license for the Z4 devices, I know we can mix these licenses regardless of the type of license on the MX but can we mix LIC-Z3-ENT with LIC-Z4-SEC?

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

• Note: This requirement does not apply to Z-Series devices or vMXs including the new Z-Series devices that can use Secure Teleworker licenses. Z-Series and vMX licenses can be added to organizations regardless of the MX license type currently applied.
I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Can we mix two license types in a single organization?

MX licensing is uniform across an entire Meraki dashboard organization. For instance, if you have 25 MX networks in your organization, you can have 25 Enterprise or Advance Security or Secure SD-WAN Plus licenses but you cannot have 20 MX devices with Enterprise and 5 MX devices with SD-WAN Plus licenses. For such a requirement, the recommended way of deployment would be to create a separate organization for each edition of licenses.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Licensing/Meraki_MX_Security_and_SD-WAN_Lice...

Note: This requirement does not apply to Z-Series devices or vMXs including the new Z-Series devices that can use Secure Teleworker licenses. Z-Series and vMX licenses can be added to organizations regardless of the MX license type currently applied.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Thank you. The question is in regards of the Z3 and Z4 licenses.

The customer already has the Z3 with the only available ENT licenses for that model. Can they buy the new Z4 and buy the new Secure Teleworker licenses (SEC for Z4) or is it required to be the same type of licenses for those (Enterprise for Z4) if they want them in the same network?

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

• Note: This requirement does not apply to Z-Series devices or vMXs including the new Z-Series devices that can use Secure Teleworker licenses. Z-Series and vMX licenses can be added to organizations regardless of the MX license type currently applied.

Thanks again, but that paragraph from the MX and Z documentation only states the mix of Z-ENT licenses and the MX licenses can happen and that is clear.

I'm not able to find if the Z3-ENT and the new Z4-SEC mix is recommended or not.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The paragraph is quite clear that there is no problem in the case of the Z-Series. If you are no sure, open a support case.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't think you can. I think that it is 1 licence type PER product family. I would suggest contacting your sales rep.

KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't know the answer, but it really has to be possible. Just imagine a customer with hundreds or thousands of Z3. Without this possibility to mix them there wouldn't be a way to slowly migrate to Z4-Sec. But well, not every decision of Cisco/Meraki can be explained with logic ... 😉

Jim_Liang
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Normally, one Dashboard organization in Meraki cloud can only have one type of MX/Z series license, e.g. the org is now in Enterprise license type, then you cannot add a Secure Advanced license in the same org even with a different network.

Logic: The license type is on the organization level in Co-Term mode.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels