Z3C Initial Setup

SOLVED
Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

Z3C Initial Setup

Hi

Much to my delight a shiny new Z3C arrived today, so I have been deep in comparative MNO coverage (EE has the best coverage and a free PAYG data SIM package, for anybody in the UK).

However, setup is proving problematic.

I have claimed the device, given it a name, connected its WAN port to a trunk port on the switch. I have reset it, tried giving it a fixed IP address as well as getting one from the Management VLAN DHCP server. Mostly to no avail. The light on the front is permanently red/orange. I can ping it from the dashboard; somewhat oddly it has an IP of 1.1.1.1.

• I have not yet put a SIM in the device, do I need to for a wired Ethernet connection?
  • Should I plug it in to the MX 64 (avoiding the switch)?
  • Should I set up a new VLAN solely for this device (and presumably the VPN functionality when I'm away from base)?
  • I have not tried attaching a local workstation yet, is it mandatory?

Hopefully, the solution is simples (pay attention, Meerkats)

Next to the rest of the Meraki stack, it looks slightly menacing . . .

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Imo it would indeed show up as a client if you have it behind a Meraki network. But as per usual with MX and Z it needs to be in it's own network. It would only be using that other network as it's "internet connectivity". You can only have one of them per network.

I see that you claimed it and given it a name. Does that mean that you've added it to a new network?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Richard_W
A model citizen

I know for my Z3, depending on the connection, it did take a while to finally show up in dashboard, when deployed.

This is after I test ran it at my home. Are you just testing at work prior to deployment?

@Richard_W wrote:

I know for my Z3, depending on the connection, it did take a while to finally show up in dashboard, when deployed.

. . . Are you just testing at work prior to deployment?

For the last 30 minutes, or so, the Z3C shows that it is connected, solid white light on front, but the dashboard does not show it.

I had a quick look at available Wi-Fi networks on my phone and was able to connect to a SSID called Meraki Setup which is open and lets me access my remote hosted files, so it is working.

It only shows as a client on the dashboard, I cannot find any way of configuring it from the dashboard and the local connection is very limited.

So it remains something of an Enigma. I would like to configure it properly before I take it up to London next week, otherwise I will not be taking it.;-[]

Thanks for your assistance.

I think because you are doing this at work, it would only be seen as a device. Try it at you home. And quite frankly it doesn't really matter too much, once it is out on a new network, and it has an IP, you can set it up to your desires.

I claimed mine as a separate network i.e. as per the location it would be based in.

Maybe someone else has an opinion too.

Imo it would indeed show up as a client if you have it behind a Meraki network. But as per usual with MX and Z it needs to be in it's own network. It would only be using that other network as it's "internet connectivity". You can only have one of them per network.

I see that you claimed it and given it a name. Does that mean that you've added it to a new network?

@BrechtSchamp wrote:

No like a complete dweeb I added it to my main network. Thanks for pointing it out. Before I do anything regrettable, is there anything I need to know about removing it from Vectis.CaithnessAnalytics.com before I create another network and adding the Z3C to that?

Even quite a moderate sized organisation could end up with literally hundreds of networks if handing these out for staff home offices.

I can see next week is going to be more crowded than I originally planned. ;-[]

@BrechtSchamp 

I have not used Meraki VPNs before. We have a number of VLANs, including Management, Audio-Visual, IOT, Design-Office etc.

In my dreams, I would like to securely(encrypted) extend a sub-set of the main network VLANs (Vectis) to the Z3C network (Acheron) so that when I connect a workstation to Acheron, it behaves as if it were attached to Vectis locally, even if I am at a remote location.

The best way of managing SSIDs, is also up for debate. It goes against the grain to set up yet more SSIDs. On another brand's equipment I am able to use the same SSID, validation and password on different networks, and roam between them. Whilst I won't be roaming between networks, it would be an elegant design feature.

I must say, I am learning a lot!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels