Z3 IP address

wyzard
New here

Z3 IP address

Good morning.

My wife was provided a Z3 to be used in working from home.  In order for this to get out past my firewall I need to put in a rule using the IP of the Z3.  The IT dept. at her job is not being helpful in this regard.  I have no information on this device.  I've done some research but so far have been unsuccessful in getting this information.

How can I find the static IP of this device so I can get it entered into my firewall rules?

Thanks for the help.

5 Replies 5
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi there. If the Z3 is connected into your firewall or passing through then surely you would see blocks on your firewall?

The device will be picking up an IP address from your internal network.

What is your setup please?
Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

In addition to what @DarrenOC already said, you could also try to access my.meraki.com or setup.meraki.com while connected to the z3. It should bring you to the local status page on which you should be able to see the IP address it received.

The Z3C attached to the network where I am picks up an IP address that is is provided by the DHCP sever on the upstream device it is physically connected to. In this case, 192.168.11.12. The Z3 WAN port is configured as dynamic.

If you look at the Z3 Status page, you should see the WAN 1 IP address set at the IP address handed out by the site ISP.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

How are you connecting the Z3 to your network?

You should be connecting the Internet/WAN port on the Z3 to your network and as long as it has Internet it should work.

What firewall do you have at your house? If its a normal ISP/netgear/Arris type setup then I doubt its got anything going on that would be blocking your Z3.

What are the LED colors showing you on the front?

Connect to it with Ethernet cable and your PC/laptop and access its local status page and see what it shows

http://setup.meraki.com
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
MerakiDave
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Do you have a Meraki Dashboard account and administrative access to the Z3 appliance, or is it only your wife's company who would have such access, and you only have the physical device but no configuration access?

Assuming the latter, as others have stated you might be able to connect a laptop locally into a LAN interface on the Z3 and open a browser and go to my.meraki.com for example to see a local status page.  You may be able to get the info you need from that page.  There are also config pages, by default the username is the serial number of the device with a blank password, unless their IT team modified that as a best practice, then you cannot access the local config page, but could still access the local status page (unless they administratively disabled that too). More info on the LSP here: https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Tools_and_Troubleshooting/Using_the_Cisco_M...

What kind of firewall do you have in place, and is it blocking outbound traffic in general, unless you explicitly permit it?  As others have mentioned if you can access the logs you can likely fine the IP of the Z3 there, and it may not be configured with a static IP, but might be expecting DHCP.  If you have a way to just connect the Z3, perhaps temporarily, to the other side of your firewall or any other LAN segment in your home that has direct Internet access, is your wife able to then get online and what do the local status page show then?

Generally speaking, the Meraki equipment needs a handful of ports open in the outbound direction to communicate with the Meraki Dashboard, such as UDP/7351, TCP/7734 and 7752, and since this is a Z3 for teleworker, it likely also requires UDP/9350 for communication with the VPN Registry.  This would all be listed under the Help > Firewall Info page in Dashboard, but I'm assuming you don't have a Dashboard account or access to manage the Z3.  

If needed, PM me and I can try to dig into this further.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels