Auto-generated IP - In Template - Will this work ?

Solved
thomasthomsen
Head in the Cloud

Auto-generated IP - In Template - Will this work ?

Might be a strange question.

But will the dashboard keep track of the IPs it has assigned via Auto-generated IP in a template ?

I guess it will, but will it also keep track if I make two templates with the same subnet-pool to pick from ?

Example. I have two templates for Z3 provisioning.

One where Wifi is enabled, and one where it is not (dont ask me why) 🙂

Can I have both templates pick Auto-generated IP /29's from the same /20 pool without getting into trouble ?

Thanks

/Thomas

1 Accepted Solution

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Templates_and_Config_Sync/Managing_Multiple...

"When using Unique Subnetting, the appliance IP will always be the first usable IP address within the range automatically allocated. The subnet will be randomly selected based on the address space and subnet mask, but will not use any subnets that have previously been used in the organization."

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

It is supposed to do it without issue yes, since it is all apart of the same ORG.
TwitterLinkedIn

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Templates_and_Config_Sync/Managing_Multiple...

"When using Unique Subnetting, the appliance IP will always be the first usable IP address within the range automatically allocated. The subnet will be randomly selected based on the address space and subnet mask, but will not use any subnets that have previously been used in the organization."

TwitterLinkedIn

Thanks, I dont know why I could not find that documentation.

Do you know if it would also work if fx. I should select /28 in one template and /29 in another ? from the same lets say /20 pool ?

>I should select /28 in one template and /29 in another ? from the same lets say /20 pool ?

I don't think it will allow this.  It will see one pool has already been allocated so the second attempt to use the overlapping pool will fail.

If you really need two pools with overlapping address space you have to raise a case with support and get them to disable the address space checking - and then you have to make sure you only assign unique subnets

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels