cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z3 Failover thresholds?

Conversationalist

Z3 Failover thresholds?

Can you set the z3 to failover to LTE based on performance threasholds or only reachabilitiy of a particular IP address. We are hoping to failover to LTE with Latency or loss reaches a certain point.

9 REPLIES 9
Meraki Employee

Re: Z3 Failover thresholds?

If you have dual uplinks, It is possible to configure VPN failover based on packet loss/Latency. However, it is not possible to switch the entire connection over without the link being hard down.

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it
Conversationalist

Is this option on the Z3 as well?  I found it on the MX's but can't on the Z3

Meraki Employee

Well, The Z3s doesn't have dual uplinks, so, unfortunately, it is not applicable for Z3s. Sorry Smiley Sad

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it
Kind of a big deal

I'm not sure on the Z3 ... but on some other models you can raise a support case and they can convert the 4G to being a second WAN port.  Then you can gain this functionality.

Kind of a big deal

@brad1028 wrote:

Can you set the z3 to failover to LTE based on performance threasholds or only reachabilitiy of a particular IP address. We are hoping to failover to LTE with Latency or loss reaches a certain point.

I am curious as to what the main connection to the Internet is that has given rise to these requirements. I am "put in mind of" an PTP or PTMP arrangement operating under less than ideal conditions. Bearing in mind, 5G LTE and the latest fixed point technology, I wonder if this might be worth exploring. There is always more than one way to skin a cat. 

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Conversationalist

Sorry meant the Z3c

Kind of a big deal

On the Z3C I find the fail-over to function well. It isn't entirely unnoticeable, but it is reasonably prompt. However, I have only tested using 4G.

What kind of deteriorating conditions on the main Internet connection do you have in mind, that require the Z3C to fail-over to LTE?

Conversationalist

Some sites have remote DSL 6/1 profile, so I want to ensure that if the upload dropped below 250k or had exceptionly high latency we would flip to the LTE

Kind of a big deal

@brad1028 wrote:

Some sites have remote DSL 6/1 profile, so I want to ensure that if the upload dropped below 250k or had exceptionly high latency we would flip to the LTE

I don't know what country this is in, but DSL 6/1 is worse than poor. Can you not organise a data-only SIM contract that is more effective from a cost and performance viewpoint. I increasingly see people switching to LTE arrangements as a way of overcoming poor DSL speeds. I see MNOs offering 4G - 50GB data for GBP25.00 per month. 

The temptation to run the LTE modem all the time must be considerable.

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.