Z3 Failover thresholds?

brad1028
Here to help

Z3 Failover thresholds?

Can you set the z3 to failover to LTE based on performance threasholds or only reachabilitiy of a particular IP address. We are hoping to failover to LTE with Latency or loss reaches a certain point.

12 REPLIES 12
Raj66
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

If you have dual uplinks, It is possible to configure VPN failover based on packet loss/Latency. However, it is not possible to switch the entire connection over without the link being hard down.

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it

Is this option on the Z3 as well?  I found it on the MX's but can't on the Z3

Raj66
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Well, The Z3s doesn't have dual uplinks, so, unfortunately, it is not applicable for Z3s. Sorry 😞

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm not sure on the Z3 ... but on some other models you can raise a support case and they can convert the 4G to being a second WAN port.  Then you can gain this functionality.

Sorry meant the Z3c

On the Z3C I find the fail-over to function well. It isn't entirely unnoticeable, but it is reasonably prompt. However, I have only tested using 4G.

What kind of deteriorating conditions on the main Internet connection do you have in mind, that require the Z3C to fail-over to LTE?

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

Some sites have remote DSL 6/1 profile, so I want to ensure that if the upload dropped below 250k or had exceptionly high latency we would flip to the LTE

@brad1028 wrote:

Some sites have remote DSL 6/1 profile, so I want to ensure that if the upload dropped below 250k or had exceptionly high latency we would flip to the LTE

I don't know what country this is in, but DSL 6/1 is worse than poor. Can you not organise a data-only SIM contract that is more effective from a cost and performance viewpoint. I increasingly see people switching to LTE arrangements as a way of overcoming poor DSL speeds. I see MNOs offering 4G - 50GB data for GBP25.00 per month. 

The temptation to run the LTE modem all the time must be considerable.

This topic is my enquiry interest.

We do use a primary and secondary LTE data package from two separate service providers.

we have difficulty that latency increases and obviously performance drops badly and we get no fail over until the service is just about dead, we cant live with this.

We would like to see a change over from WAN1 to WAN2 when latency exceeds say 1000ms for example

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@cliffinsa is it simply for internet connectivity or a Meraki SD-WAN solution?  If the latter then you could use two MG21s on the MX WAN ports and use the latency and packet loss rules.

Sorry, I should have mentioned we use the Z3 on the remote sites.

it seems the fail over does not work even if the service is down but with LTE router still connected, it like keeps it connected to the poor service

Cliff

Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

@brad1028 wrote:

Can you set the z3 to failover to LTE based on performance threasholds or only reachabilitiy of a particular IP address. We are hoping to failover to LTE with Latency or loss reaches a certain point.

I am curious as to what the main connection to the Internet is that has given rise to these requirements. I am "put in mind of" an PTP or PTMP arrangement operating under less than ideal conditions. Bearing in mind, 5G LTE and the latest fixed point technology, I wonder if this might be worth exploring. There is always more than one way to skin a cat. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels