Z1 on a stick?

ShawnD
Here to help

Z1 on a stick?

Is it possible setup the Z1 on stick?   I'd like to replace an ASA with a Z1, the ASA is currently setup with just a single Ethernet connection.

7 REPLIES 7
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Are you sure you want to do that? The teleworker really is a small device meant for only one user. It doesn't do any of the advanced security features that the MX does... The MX can do firewall on a stick. This article is similar to that use case:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Firewall_and_Traffic_Shaping/Creating_a_DMZ_with_the_MX_Security...

Very little traffic runs over this link so the through put should be fine.   We have them in similar environments servicing 20 workstations as a dedicated link for this traffic.

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Well I believe the guide I sent you should work for Z-series too. I haven't got a Teleworker device on hand so I can't check but I think they use the same configuration pages for the "Addressing & VLANs" and firewall aspects.

I'll give at go and report back.

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Are you deploying it for AutoVPN purposes? If not, be careful not to confuse yourself with that guide as it's geared towards AutoVPN concentrator deployment 😉

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>Is it possible setup the Z1 on stick?

In short, no.

Longer; you can put the Z1 into VPN concentrator mode, but you will require something else to be the default gateway for the network and provide the routing to and from the Z1 at layer 3.  You can not have VLANs (such as an outside and inside VLAN, like you might have on the ASA).

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels