Z1 Throughput Limited to 100meg

SOLVED
RickBeare
Conversationalist

Z1 Throughput Limited to 100meg

I have quite a few Z1s on networks that should be getting well over 300ms, but they only get 50ms. I have tested a PC in front of a Z1 through the ISP router, and I get 300m+ with the Z1 behind the ISP router I only get 50m. The Traffic Shaping is set to 1000Mb Up and Down.

They all have the latest versions, and they all sit behind the ISP Natted router. So other than checking the traffic shaping is there any setting that could be checked for the bottle neck?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal
12 REPLIES 12
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

RickBeare
Conversationalist

Thanks for the reply. Wow, I just never really paid to much attention to those specs, I mean you have ISPs now as a norm offering well over 100m as a standard, and there cheap little routers will do that ,and up to 1g.

I also think that I really never paid attention since it is some what of a new standard, so it really never mattered before, and the fact that the actual interface is 1g, my assumption was that it could throughput 1g. Bottom Line obviously is that these units are really totally worthless in today's internet environment. 

I went to look at the new Z3, and it appears that it is doubled, but still cannot handle over 100meg, so even the newest Cisco Z3, is really worthless as well, and at a cost of over 300.00.

I am going to be forced to only use the Z1 for Voip, and move all of the client devices in front of the Z1 so they can enjoy the internet through the 69.00 ISP router, although I will not have much of a firewall to work with, its a 2 edge sword.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

the mx serie has better throughput and more features.  https://meraki.cisco.com/products/appliances#models

You do realise the "Z" series is primary for telecomuters to provide access via AutoVPN back to some centralised resource?  As such, it doesn't really need to be that fast.

It does not support any of the advanced security features, like AMP.  If you want actual security features you should be using the MX series - and they come in a whole range of different throughputs.

I definitely agree that the Teleworker doesn't need much more in terms of speed, but there are some residential ISPs now that are offering reasonably priced 100Mbps/40Mbps connections here in Australia.

As above, the Z units are not suitable as a router for more than 3 clients. 

We use these Z1s, mostly for, our remote sales peoples to tunnel access for Voip Phones Corp Shares. The Pro in all this is that the Z1 is much easier to hand to a sales person, and tell them to just plug it in and every things works. 

The Voip is no problem bandwidth wise, but the shares make it nice to have a speed, but they are not complaining. What they complain about is that now that they are behind this thing, they are bottled necked to 50meg when they have 300 just on the on the other side, for other internet activity that requires bandwidth. 

We have replaced all those concerned with the MX64, that has taken care of the problem although even this unit is maxed out at 250meg, but they are happy now. 

I would definitely agree with Philip that these are only for telecommuters that only need very little bandwidth, and are not going to use them for there Home network, other than that they are not very useful. 

Althought Z1 is the main HW of this thread ... why launch Z3 with only 100mbps throughput ?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you want more throughput - just by a bigger MX box.

The Z3 is just an entry level low cost option for Telecomuters - but that doesn't mean you have to use it.

TheUnF
Getting noticed

Any news on higher throughput on Z1 ?

I'm going to 500Mbps now and although fast, these carriers' $%@#$ routers are so bad.

Miss all my dashboards and controls from Z series.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>I'm going to 500Mbps now

The MX67 and MX68 are the best fit here with 450Mb/s of throughput.

CoData
Conversationalist

I'm shocked that Cisco throttles their bandwidth on the Meraki Z1

Technically there is NO reason to do this.,,, 

I've sold these routers to clients with 5 users or less thinking it was a cost effective way to get them into the Meraki product line...  

I was so impressed with Meraki's products that I sell them as the "Rolls Royce" of routers.

Boy was I wrong.  Now as cable speeds reach 300Mb-500Mb I have to tell them that they are stuck at 100Mb. 

I guess that is more like a Volkswagen than RR

Cisco really needs to reconsider fixing this with a firmware update.

Especially since I can pickup a $65 crappy Linksys router at Best Buy and that would go as fast as bandwidth would allow..... And Linksys is also owned by Cisco.

This is the 1st issue I've ever had with Meraki and its a big black eye.

Signed....

Very disappointed

TheUnF
Getting noticed

Life is hard... replaced my Z1 with an Arris TG1692A ... much better Wifi coverage and Wan/Wifi throughput so faster that I shut off other APs that I used in my apartment.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels