Why Can't I Apply Traffic Shaping Rules to Miscellaneous Secure Web Traffic

dman
Conversationalist

Why Can't I Apply Traffic Shaping Rules to Miscellaneous Secure Web Traffic

Hi,

I've got a 100MB leased connection coming in to the building which give me about 90MB of useable bandwidth.

I'm trying to get the packet loss peaks to under 1% to make it compliant with the VoIP requirements for a new VoIP service we are bringing in.

I've restricted all the Traffic Shaping categories to work within a 50MB limit apart from file sharing, backups and antivirus updates that get 20MB.

I've put these restrictions in place but I can't restrict Miscellaneous Secure Web Traffic for some reason.  Our technical has advised me to try a per client limit of 10MB.  But that's not going to help matters if I've got 10 people all maxing the bandwidth limit for Miscellaneous Secure Web,

Is their another way to restrict Miscellaneous Secure Web Traffic that I'm missing?

dman 

7 REPLIES 7
Mahi_Meraki_guy
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

I would suggest to create an aggressive rule for VOIP traffic. This will prioritize your VOIP traffic all the time. 

Mahi_Meraki_guy_0-1582214458314.png

I already have that in place but Meraki still occasionally gives less than perfect VoIP quality if the bandwidth starts getting squeezed.  Packet loss starts showing above 1% in the Uplink monitor.

I don't know why they just can't add Misc secure web to the traffic shaping options globally then I can keep the entire network operating within a set bandwidth. 

dman
Conversationalist

Just taken this screenshot showing the packet loss.  Don't even have much traffic going through it at the moment.

When I do a 1000 ping test from my computer it doesn't show any packet loss.

packetloss.jpg

So by default we get ping google dns (8.8.8.8) to build up loss and latency graphs on dashboard.

Please configure Cisco Umbrella DNS IP as reference and see if you see same delay and loss.

Cisco Umbrella IP addresses.

I've added the connectivity stats below of the Cisco Umbrella IP address alongside the 8x8 for the last two hours:

8888stats.jpgcisco1.jpgcisco2.jpg

The other strange thing is, whichever IP I'm measuring when you switch from the 2 hour view to the day view.  The percentage value of the same loss peaks goes from 1.7% to 0.3%.  Which value is the true value.  The day vue 0.3% or the 2 hour view where the same peaks reach 1.7%?

cisco1-day.jpg

Use Meraki Insight for better understanding you WAN health. 

It will also be able to help you with VOIP health. Gives meaningful data in just few clicks and provides you the pain points in the data path. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

They are both the average percentage lost over the sample time.  For the 2 hour graph there is a shorter sample time so as packet loss is usually intermittent tiny periods of loss, you end up with longer sample times showing less average loss.

i.e. 100% loss for 1 second

If the 2 hour graph has a 2s sample time it will show 50% loss

If the 1 day graph has a 10s sample time it will show 10% loss

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels