We need 10G WAN connectivity!

DougSF
Conversationalist

We need 10G WAN connectivity!

10G ISP connections are getting more and more commonplace and the prices keep dropping.  My dream-list asks:

- An MX that supports 10G on the WAN and L3 interfaces.  I'm having a harder time pitching the MX450 as a solution with only 6Gb max firewall throughput.  I don't need advanced features, just doing what you already do so well, but at 10G.  It's great that I can use SFP+ and run fiber today, but that 6Gb limitation is starting to get constricting.  I've been buying Palo Alto firewalls as a solution until Meraki has an option.

Call it the MX550.

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What throughput are you getting from your MX450?

I wouldn't be surprised if you don't have everything enabled you will get more throughput.

DougSF
Conversationalist

It seems to have a hard 6Gb cap.  I don't run anything special, it's just basically a really fast NAT firewall.  I hoped that they would let it go all the way to the interface speed and cut it down if you are using a lot of features.

rhbirkelund
Kind of a big deal

I'd suggest that your best option would probably be to get in touch with your local Meraki SE.

I wouldn't be surprised if Meraki has some ways to circumvent the hard cap from their view. But I have absolutely no idea, and I doubt it is at all supported. You'll probably be on your own.

LinkedIn ::: https://blog.rhbirkelund.dk/

Like what you see? - Give a Kudo ## Did it answer your question? - Mark it as a Solution 🙂

All code examples are provided as is. Responsibility for Code execution lies solely your own.

I spoke with my Meraki channel manager late last year (2020) who escalated it to their engineers and they confirmed there is no way to get around that cap. The proposed solution was an upstream 10G switch splitting the traffic to two networks with MX450s. So for our high availability setup this meant 4 x MX450s and 2 advanced security licenses. They offered to heavily discount everything because they know this isn't ideal. We passed on the offer. Unfortunately everyone I spoke to mentioned they haven't even heard about a 10G unit in the pipeline. I'm still hopeful any day now we'll get word a 10G unit is just around the corner. SonicWALL has had 10G units for the datacenter for a while now and late last year released some 10G office grade units. Really hoping the competition spurs Meraki into action.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels